VMware Horizon Community
ljyoung12345
Contributor
Contributor

VMware view 4.0 client "help" button

Does anyone know how to either grey-out, disable, or remove this button from the VMware view 4 client logon screen? By pressing the help button allows a user to access the Internet without having to login to the actual workstation.

-Thank you

0 Kudos
8 Replies
eeg3
Commander
Commander

VMware Support claimed this was not possible a few months ago. I'm not sure if anything changed in 4.5 in this regard.

blog.eeg3.net | Useful VMware-related Links

If you found this or any other post helpful, please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points.

Blog: http://blog.eeg3.net
0 Kudos
ljyoung12345
Contributor
Contributor

This has not been corrected or changed in VMware view 4.5 client either. There has to be a way. I heard you could edit the wswc_en_us_409.dll with Visual Studio and disable the help button, but I do not know how to do. Has this been tried?

0 Kudos
ljyoung12345
Contributor
Contributor

I did finally figure it out. I opened up (Using MS Visual studio) the file named "wswc_en_us_409.dll" located in C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware View\Client\bin. Opening up the dialog folder I found and removed the "help" button from every logon picture within that folder. Now the only button users now see is logon and cancel. I am also attaching the edited file for testing yourself. Please remember...this is NOT supported by VMware.

0 Kudos
grossag
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Your post is correct. This is not supported or recommended, but you can do it this way. Out of curiosity, why don't you want the Help button to be there?

0 Kudos
JugOfTuiPlease
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Probably because the help button launches a browser, which can in turn be used to browse the web unauthenticated.

We got around that by renaming iexplore.exe on the thin client OS on which the View client resides.

0 Kudos
ljyoung12345
Contributor
Contributor

Renaming the iexplorer exe file works fine on thin clients but that is not the case on thick clients. With thick clients the iexplore.exe file renames itself.

0 Kudos
grossag
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I haven't tested this, but can't you just change Windows's default handler for .htm and .html files to be nothing (or wordpad or something?) so Internet Explorer won't launch?

0 Kudos
ac57846
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I have just released a tool to  address this issue, it is a VB6 application called NoBrowser that hooks  the click on the help button & launches as the default web browser.   It displays a text file or silently exits if the text file isn't found.

Take a look at the release announcement and download the installer at http://www.demitasse.co.nz/wordpress2/2011/12/nobrowser-all-the-help-you-need/

0 Kudos