VMware Horizon Community
Jefferson211
Contributor
Contributor

VMware via iphone personal hotspot

I work for a large academic medical institution, and no one is IS&T is able to help me, so I'm hoping to get some help here.

I visit patients in their homes, and need to access our electronic medical record via the VMware horizon portal. I use my Verizon iphone personal hotspot for internet access.

I double click on our server icon, input my username/password into the VMware Horizon login screen. Then I double click on the Remote Access CPA, I get "the connection server is preparing your desktop" and then I get an error message "the connection to the remote computer ended." Sometimes I am able to get through if I wait >30-45 minutes, but this is suboptimal in patient care. 

This issue is ONLY when using the iphone personal hotspot, never when using my home wifi.

IS&T thinks this is an issue with mobility/the iphone hotspot. There has to be a way to get consistent access to our EMR by using a personal hotspot. Anything else I can try? Is this a hotspot issue or a VMware issue?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
theaaronstrong
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Jeff,

I'm not a Horizon expert, but I'm going to give you maybe a couple things to try. If you're home and use your iPhone, can you connect to you WiFi and then turn on your hotspot? Test the portal and see if it connects. Then switch over to Verizon and see if it connects. If the connection fails to the portal one over the other, I think that will help decide where the problem is at. If it doesn't connect on either, you may need to contact your internal support team.

0 Kudos
Jefferson211
Contributor
Contributor

I was able to connect via hotspot in my home. But when I close my laptop, go to the patient's home, and then try to reconnect via hotspot... "the connection to the remote computer ended." Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Starkz0r
Contributor
Contributor

Good Morning Jefferson211,

I'm having the same issues with users in my environment.

So far it seems to be isolated to iPhone users using ;

- iPhone 8 Plus iOS 11

- iPhone 6 iOS 10

iPhone's that work are;

- iPhone 4

- iPhone 6 IOS 11

When using any Android AP or something other than iPhone they don't encounter the issue.

Basically connection is allowed through the Connection Server & Security Server but when User attempts to load an Application they encounter the same issue

"The Connection to the remote computer ended"

Then I used my AndroidAP Hotspot, no ISSUES!

Been pulling my hair out about this, not to sure if there's some new SSL settings that iPhone has introduced recently but I followed these instructions to request a new cert name 'vd'

https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=20209...

But still no dice,

Did you manage to solve this at all ?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
DAllen234
Contributor
Contributor

I have a workaround I discovered via trial and error.

1. download and install VMWare Horizons client for iphone

2. login to server and remote connection ON iPHONE!

3. Try logging into VMWare horizons client on laptop and then open the connection.

It worked for me.

But without steps 1 & 2, step 3 never works on a laptop tethered to an iphone.

you can get the iphone client here

VMware Horizon Client for iOS Release Notes

0 Kudos