VMware Horizon Community
jpipitone
Contributor
Contributor

VMware tools stops running - 1809 VDI

Hello,

I deployed a Windows 10 1809 image, with no fancy software installed - just Office. VMware tools stops running after a few minutes, and only way to remedy this is to reboot the VM, however VMware tools stops again. The VM itself becomes non-responsive. This does not happen with the master image within the console. The issue starts after deployment.

Using an older version of Windows 10, previous build, VMware tools stays running just fine.

Yes, the power settings are set to high performance, so this is not an issue with hibernation.

I have tried various versions of VMware tools also - including the latest.  Running the Horizon Agent 7.4.0. If I log into the master image at the VMware console prior to deployment, the VM runs fine with no issues. After de

Logs do not appear to display any information relevant to VMware tools stopping, and the event viewer on the VM itself does not display any errors either - Any suggestions?

29 Replies
oliober
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I made also tests.

CS=7.5.1 with Horizon agent 7.5.1 = not working

CS=7.8.0 with Horizon agent 7.5.1 = working

0 Kudos
jpipitone
Contributor
Contributor

Wow - thank you everyone. Looks like they're up to 7.8 now. Will give it a try.

0 Kudos
HPU-ADM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I got this response from support today.

"

As per the development team, upgrade of connection server to 7.5.1 and higher will fix the issue. It is not an issue from agent end and hence even after trying different version of agent, the issue still persist.

Please refer to release notes of View 7.5.2 https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Horizon-7/7.5.2/rn/horizon-752-view-release-notes.html#resolvediss...
As per release notes: 2289040: Automated desktop pools created on Windows 10 1809 go into the Agent Unreachable state.

"

I haven't tested this. I may try.  I would rather install the latest but i tried that and my tera 1 clients could not connect.

0 Kudos
edwardfu557
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there,

Wondering if there is any update with this issue? My company just started 1809 upgrade and we encounter same issue as described. I have been troubleshooting with reinstall various version of vmtools and view agent. Running Windows on safe mode, doing SFC /scannow, repair WMI, etc... it still couldn't resolve the issue.

0 Kudos
paulmike3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What version of Connection Server are you on? This was fixed in Connection Server 7.5.2 and higher.

0 Kudos
edwardfu557
Contributor
Contributor

We are on connection server 7.8. Still with issue.

0 Kudos
the_minidude
Contributor
Contributor

Hey all,

I see this has been thread has been going for a while. Has anyone got something close to a definitive answer on this or is it still a mistery?

I've had this problem for a while now trying to upgrade my vm's from Win10 1709 to 1809. After 15mins (10 to 50) the VDI freezes up even if a user is working on it and i'm forced to reset.

It's gotten so bad that i'm rolling VMs back to 1709 although the company is now pushing for all computers to be 1909.

Originally I was running 7.4 agent connecting to Horizon 7.4 connection servers with vSphere 6.5.0.13000. I've now upgraded connection servers to 7.12 and have tried 7.12 agent on the Vdis with latest versions of tools. Problem still exists.

I'm using full clones in this scenario.

I've tried a fresh vm with win 10 1809 and tools 3.11.9 connecting to the 7.12 connection servers. After about 15 mins the DNS name and IP address fields on vSphere go blank and the VDI freezes. Only way to recover is to reset the VDI every few mins when the user complains or delete the VDI and revert to a previous image running win 10 1709.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

First, open a ticket if you haven't, I'm not seeing this and GSS may be aware of something not shared here yet, other than you and one other response this ticket is over a year old.

What is "tools 3.11.9" since that doesn't match the recent 11.0 versions that are current(I think 11.1 is the latest) make sure you check the version against the

VMware Product Interoperability Matrices

the vmware tools and horizon combo needs to be supported, and there have been issues in the past where tools has been released after the horizon agent that can conflict.

0 Kudos
JasonMathew
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the Same exact issue and have support call with Vmware but no real solution yet very frustrating

0 Kudos
takk_m
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, work for me too! (hpet0.present=true., https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/67175). Had also random totaly freezing VMs after provisioning.

My environment: vShere 6.0, Horizon Connection Server 7.0.1, Guest: Windows 10 Ent 1809 LTSC, VMware Tools 10.2.5, Horizon View agent 7.12

0 Kudos