VMware Horizon Community
exodia819
Contributor
Contributor

VMware horizon install Failed

Help.  I tried install 5.1 and it was installing but then at the end of installation, it started to cancel installation and it ends up in 'Install Failed'.  I see this has been discussed before and ppl attach log files, but I do not know how to do that.  Can someone teach me? Thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Shreyskar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi exodia819

While installing select custom install  > unselect support for Skype, HTML and Teams > Finish the installation and test.

Also confirm the 'host' file is not set to read only as per VMware Knowledge Base

If it still fails, Try using silent installation using cmd:

VMware-Horizon-Client-y.y.y-xxxxxx.exe /s /v"/qn ADDLOCAL=ALL

If none of the above methods help, can you attach installation.log file please? (%temp%\vminst.log)

0 Kudos
exodia819
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Shreyskar,

Thank you so much for your reply.  I tried do custom install but there's no option to uncheck for Skype, HTML, or Team.

Here's copy of the log. Now I know where the log is.

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Paul

0 Kudos
Shreyskar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi

I have reviewed the log file and here is when installation starts rolling back as it is unable to write to hosts file:

vdmInstUtil: 05/14/20 10:59:53 ERROR: Failed to open file: "C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\etc\hosts": 13

vdmInstUtil: 05/14/20 10:59:53 ERROR: Failed writing to file "C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\etc\hosts".

vdmInstUtil: 05/14/20 10:59:53 End Logging

vdmInstUtil: 05/14/20 10:59:54 Begin Logging

vdmInstUtil: 05/14/20 10:59:54 --- VMRemoveViewLocalHostEntryFromHostsFile() : Removing view-localhost entry to the 'etc\hosts' file.

Please follow VMware Knowledge Base and change the permission on 'hosts' file to read&write and try again.

exodia819
Contributor
Contributor

Great. After right click on 'Hosts' and unchecked 'read-only' and went to advanced setting to make the file more sharable, the installation finally finished without failure. Thank you so much Shreyskar!

0 Kudos
Shreyskar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Glad to hear. Please mark the post as helpful/correct.

0 Kudos