VMware Communities
christopher1956
Contributor
Contributor

VMware for old Mac

Is there a VMware virtual machine product that is compatible with a 2011 iMac running High Sierra?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

To run VMs on, or to use the Mac to access a remote hosted desktop of some kind?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
christopher1956
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Scott, I just want to be able to run a Windows virtual machine on the Mac. I researched it bit since my post and it looks like 11.5 is the version I need. Would that be correct? Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Well you certainly need VMware Fusion to do that.

Your post needs moving so I have reported it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@christopher1956 wrote:

Hi Scott, I just want to be able to run a Windows virtual machine on the Mac. I researched it bit since my post and it looks like 11.5 is the version I need. Would that be correct? Thanks for your help

Hopefully your research took you to the KB 2088571 note Supported host operating systems for VMware Fusion 

Yes, Fusion 11.5 (in particular 11.5.3) is the last Fusion version to support macOS High Sierra 10.13. Fusion 11.5.5 dropped support for High Sierra.

Note that there is no free personal use license option for Fusion 11. You would have to purchase a Fusion 12 Player or Pro license and downgrade it to Fusion 11. That can be done in VMware's customer portal once you register the license.

Just beware that High Sierra is no longer getting any updates from Apple.  Connecting it to the Internet without some kind of active AV and firewall would not be considered a wise move, security speaking.  

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

And one other note - it won't run Windows 11.  Windows 7 would run fine on it, but it's also out of support.  Windows 10 could be touch-and-go depending on the hardware config (i.e. a 4 core/8GB machine is the bare minimum for decent performance).

0 Kudos