http://www.virtualization.info/2007/04/vmware-acquires-propero.html

Massimo.

Massimo Re Ferre' VMware vCloud Architect twitter.com/mreferre www.it20.info
0 Kudos
26 Replies
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Why would they keep an acquisition quiet! sounds fishy to me.

Also why do SWSoft have a picture of Simon Cowell on there advert Smiley Happy conspirisies

Message was edited by:

tom howarth

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
davlloyd
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Given up on there own broker offering... they have been tip toeing around an extension of the brokering capacity for a while so now it becomes clear.

0 Kudos
Alessandro_Peri
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Tom,

S-1 Registration Statement is an official document.

Propero acquisition has been confirmed to me by VMware.

Expect an official press announcement in the near future (no timeframe given at this point).

Thanks

Alessandro Perilli, CISSP

Industry Analyst \[Virtualization // IT Security]

Profile: http://www.alessandroperilli.com // https://www.linkedin.com/in/alessandroperilli

Blog: http://www.virtualization.info

0 Kudos
Elie-prof
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Why they would acquire a broken product is beyond me!

I honestly don't think they understand the power and potential of virtual desktops. Instead of delivering a powerful and comprehensive solution, they are sticking to a niche offering. Microsoft is going to eat their lunch.

0 Kudos
sgrinker
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Very interesting... I'm surprised they didn't end up going with Leostream, but then again maybe they couldn't strike a deal.

0 Kudos
epping
Expert
Expert

whats your take on this, do u think it will have an impact on leostream, i like the product but generally i have a policy of staying native rather than going for a third party solution.

0 Kudos
sgrinker
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It's hard to say... it really depends on what they do with it, and how hard they push it over other solutions. I'd have to imagine that they are going to integrate it eventually to some extent. However other brokers may have added benefits that could keep them alive. Realistically it's way to early to tell realy...

0 Kudos
davlloyd
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

whats your take on this, do u think it will have an

impact on leostream, i like the product but generally

i have a policy of staying native rather than going

for a third party solution.

Funny thing about this is we were being tapped by Vmware a while back as to our feelings for a broker provided by Vmware. Easy response to this is that it would not be desirable as for such as simple component as the broker it is best to stay vendor neutral. Chrystal ball it into the future and your Broker is serving both Vmware VIx and Microsoft Veridian x as well as your data center based workstations (blades) and even your desktop workstations for remote access purposes - how would a product controlled by a company that only represents a portion of that spread ensure the others are covered.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

and you think Microsoft do?

Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
Elie-prof
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

David,

That's what I was elluding to in my previous post. This VDI business is bigger than we make it to be. It's about enterprise desktop management. I know I'm biased, but take Provision Networks for example, they integrate with VMware and Virtual Iron, they support TS, personal / blade PCs, are working to integrate with Microsoft VMM. So basically regardless of what platform it is, regardless of where the desktop is coming from, they can "manage" it. Also regardless of user experience - app or desktop publishing.

VMware looks at it too narrowly. You'd think that someone like Citrix who's in the "desktop" business will get serious. But even Trinity v1 and v2 are lacking (i.e. they've told me they do not plan to integrate beyond AD with any platform, that way they can support everyone) - but I don't want to use multiple consoles for provisioning, power managment and desktop management).

This market is heating up quickly. So it could be a company like Symantec, or Microsoft who take desktop management seriously at the enteprise level that may end up delivering across the board.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Ellie

I agree with you, (Not your bias, thought. Smiley Wink ). VMware will need to diverify to survive.

We do not yet understand VMWare's approach regading their purchase of Prospero, if it is to strangle hold VDI to ESX then that is not an approach I personally could support, however if it is to allow a seamless cross platform access strategy to alls VDI technology then that would be worth looking at without blinkers

0 Kudos
davlloyd
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Things are developing so quick it is best to keep everything modulised to allow for ease of replacement if required. Case in point you could go VAS get your Brokering, USB, Dual screen support, SSL, etc etc all in one package. all of a sudden down the track we have all of these options available without having to tie to one vendor or to one OS type on the thin client.

By VMware trying to be both the platform provider and allocation management solution it would definitely involve sacrifice in freedoms in other areas. Besides as those that have looked at Propero will testify to - why would you pick that one?

0 Kudos
mreferre
Champion
Champion

why would you pick that one?

I can't sleep at night with this question in mind....... why that one ? I don't have anything against Propero.... well it's not my favourite broker because I think it's too complex ..... but I am wondering why buying a bazooka to take it apart and make it a small gun ? Why ?

Massimo.

Massimo Re Ferre' VMware vCloud Architect twitter.com/mreferre www.it20.info
0 Kudos
sgrinker
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Massimo

I'm guessing that the bazooka was either the only one available... or at least cheaper. They probably couldn't find someone that was willing to negotiate on getting them a sniper rifle. Smiley Happy

Steve

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Sniper rifles are ok, but a bazooka is more fun Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Elie-prof
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

David,

Adding twelve 3rd party components to the stack doesn't give me the warm and fuzzy. I can see the 12 vendors in my conference room pointing fingers at each other. And by that token I am not tied to anything by the intelligent brokering - not the thin client (as they support Wyse, Neoware, HP and others), not the OS (as they support XP, CE, and Linux - of course with different features based on user needs), and even the virtual infrastructure (as I may decide to switch to Virtual Iron, XenSource, or MSFT) if/when we decide to switch platforms for one reason or another.

So I actually see more choices here.

Things are developing so quick it is best to keep

everything modulised to allow for ease of replacement

if required. Case in point you could go VAS get your

Brokering, USB, Dual screen support, SSL, etc etc all

in one package. all of a sudden down the track we

have all of these options available without having to

tie to one vendor or to one OS type on the thin

client.

By VMware trying to be both the platform provider and

allocation management solution it would definitely

involve sacrifice in freedoms in other areas. Besides

as those that have looked at Propero will testify to

- why would you pick that one?

0 Kudos
Elie-prof
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Maybe Propero had some naked pictures of someone at Vmware!!!

why would you pick that one?

I can't sleep at night with this question in

mind....... why that one ? I don't have anything

against Propero.... well it's not my favourite broker

because I think it's too complex ..... but I am

wondering why buying a bazooka to take it apart and

make it a small gun ? Why ?

Massimo.

0 Kudos
williambishop
Expert
Expert

An experienced IBM customer! Smiley Wink

BTW, that was in regards to 12 different people pointing their finger at someone else.

--"Non Temetis Messor."
0 Kudos
sgrinker
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

BrianMadden.com's (by Gabe Knuth) take on the whole thing...

http://www.brianmadden.com/content/article/VMware-acquires-Propero

0 Kudos