VMware Horizon Community
awilson1091
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Virtual Audio (DevTap) driver and RTAV audio latency/buffer size

I am looking for any way to modify the buffer size of the VMware Virtual Audio (DevTap) driver. Our call center is experiencing latency that creates a walkie-talkie effect when conversating. We are using HP t630 thin clients with Horizon Client 4.6 installed. See the VMWare View version and thin client model below.

The conversion taking place specifically between the View environment and the Thin pro (redirecting sound through RTAV) and the VMware Virtual Audio (DevTap) driver is adding 600ms+ Latency to audio.

I have tried different vmx file changes (play.buffersize = “##” pcisound.playbuffer = “##” etc.) but only notice a difference with Analog headsets. Even with the analog headset, it appears I can only make changes that increase the buffer size and add latency. Third party call center software has been eliminated as the cause of the latency and I need to find out an alternative RTAV driver or a way to modify the buffer size of the VMware Virtual Audio drivers. I have attempted setting the devices to High Definition Audio or the ES1371 but have not been able to get sound out of these.

The latency is eliminated using USB passthrough but the quality is choppy and unclear. If someone knows of a way to add buffer to USB passthrough or increase the quality there that would also be an option.

Help is greatly appreciated!

Thin Client Information

HP t630 thin client

BIOS: M40 v01.03

VMWare Information

VDI software: VMware Horizon 6.2

Blade OS: VMware ESX 5.5

Production VDI Hardware:  3x HP ProLiant BL460c Gen9 (24 CPUs - Xeon E5-2690 v3 @ 2.6GHz, 512GB Memory)

VDI client hardware: HP t630 thin client 8GB memory

# of VMs and templates on VDI ESX hosts: 371

# of active VDI sessions daily: 110

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JAGTechnologies
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I'm experiencing the same issues - did you find a solution ?

Cheers

John

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Moved to Horizon Desktop & Apps discussions.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos