VMware Horizon Community
AB11
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware View best practice advice please

I currently have a virtual PC which I am using as the 'master virtual desktop PC' for our virtual desktop environment.

I have created 3 desktop pools (2 persistent and one non persistent) which all use the cold imageof that virtual machine.

The number of virtual machines in each pool is quite small at the moment but are expected to grow.

I wonder if there is a limit to the number of desktop pools or desktop machines in each pool which can use the same image and also if it is best practice to have seperate master desktops for each pool?

Many thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
krismcewan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

it depends on what you want.

id have a different Gold Build for each enviroment with only the apps or thin app shortcuts in that image.

Downside is more gold images to update if there are changes.

using one gold and multiple snapshots works but you have to watch if updates are needed what you do to the multiple snapshots.

using one gold and one snapshot i think works fine dependin on your Host, Storage and Lan speeds. personally id stick to 50 max

VCP, VTSP4, VSP4, MCSE, MCTS, IBMBCE and anything else I can learn.

A VMware Consultant in Scotland for Taupo Consulting http://www.taupoconsulting.co.uk If you think I'm right or helpful award me some points please

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
krismcewan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

it depends on what you want.

id have a different Gold Build for each enviroment with only the apps or thin app shortcuts in that image.

Downside is more gold images to update if there are changes.

using one gold and multiple snapshots works but you have to watch if updates are needed what you do to the multiple snapshots.

using one gold and one snapshot i think works fine dependin on your Host, Storage and Lan speeds. personally id stick to 50 max

VCP, VTSP4, VSP4, MCSE, MCTS, IBMBCE and anything else I can learn.

A VMware Consultant in Scotland for Taupo Consulting http://www.taupoconsulting.co.uk If you think I'm right or helpful award me some points please
0 Kudos