VMware Horizon Community
Najtsob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware View and RSA, is there possible alternative to RSA ?

Hi,

Is it posible to use something else to authenticate insted of RSA ? Or will be this possible in any future versions of View, maybe View 5.0 ?

Also I noticed that view client implements RSA authentcation as single DLL and that on the server side is similar just that there is JAR file.

So qestion arise: is there a public API so that one cold write his own DLL and JAR for authentication puposes ?

Reasons: RSA server costs fortune and I do not trust them.

Best regards

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Mickelonis
Contributor
Contributor

My company uses RSA, as well as AOS. However, for View we ONLY use RSA due to the VMware limitations. As well, if you use zero clients outside your network, RSA's the only solution.

It'd be nice to see different two-factor solutions available using zero clients as well as through the View portal.

=(

-Pete

0 Kudos
Najtsob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Do yo know anything abot "extending" view client functionality with your own solution to replace RSA ?

Does wswc_rsa.dll uses public avaliable api and SDK so we can replace this with our own solution ?

0 Kudos
markbenson
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

>Is it posible to use something else to authenticate instead of RSA SecurID?

Currently, View supports the following authentication methods:

1. AD username password

2. MIT Kerberos username password (for mixed AD/MIT Kerberos environments)

3. X.509 user certificates (mainly Smart Card).

4. RSA SecurID.

5. Kiosk authentication of client device.

It is likely that this list will grow in future versions.

Today, it is not possible for custom extensions to the 5 authentication methods supported.

Mark.

0 Kudos
Najtsob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

But this methds are supporten in local network.
I am interested in authentication methods when cotacting security server and there is only RSA as far as I know.

0 Kudos
SDO1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

SMSpasscode - you REALLY should take a look at it ..

www.smspasscode.com

demo: http://www.smspasscode.com/sites/default/files/flash/VMwareView4.5Win7X64rdp.swf

and no im NOT from SMSpasscode 😄  but have implementeted it on alot of VDI/Citrix XA projects, and works like a charm!

./sdo

0 Kudos
markbenson
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

>I am interested in authentication methods when cotacting security server and there is only RSA as far as I know.

No.

All the methods I list are available at the Security Server as well. Remember, it is the Connection Server that is responsible for the View authentication process so the full list is also available when you use a Security Server.

Mark.

0 Kudos
marshalmatador
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey, thanks a lot for the post, very helpful codes!

0 Kudos
markbenson
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes, there are several other methods available when logging in to the virtual desktop itself. My list are the ones supported to log into View.

Mark

0 Kudos
AdamLange
Contributor
Contributor

We are also hoping they expand the list beyond RSA on the security server, we use a mix of RSA and Anakam, but are hoping to transition away from RSA as much as possible.  The lack of support for Anakam (in my case), or other two-factor auth in general is something I hope will be addressed soon.

0 Kudos
SDO1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hej,

Jeg holder ferie i perioden 25/7 - 29/7 og har ikke mulighed for at besvare mails undervejs, ved sager der kræver action inden jeg er retur fra ferie henvises til vores helpdesk.

Med venlig hilsen

Sune Dollerup

0 Kudos