VMware Horizon Community
lanmaster411
Contributor
Contributor

VMware View Zero Client with USB 2.0 Support - PCoIP

Does anyone know of a Zero Client out there with USB 2.0 Support? I know Wyse has one for Citrix, but I can't find a similiar unit for View. We are about to push through a VDI project but it is highly dependant upon the client having USB 2 connectivity. I know I could find a simliar thin-client with 2.0 capability, but I don't want to go down that road, instead I'd prefer to use a zero-client. We have PanoLogic clients which are technically "Zero Clients" but they don't support PCoIP.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Is it the speed or the functionality of USB2 you want?

If it is speed then you will always be dependent on the bandwidth that you have between the client and the desktop... even with USB2/3.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
lanmaster411
Contributor
Contributor

It’s really the speed. I understand bandwidth will always be a constraint, but all my clients have high speed links back to the datacenter. We have users that transfer files to/from USB sticks and having to do that at USB 1.1 speed is painful. If Citrix has a Zero Client with that capability so should View ☺

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Lots of people might argue if there is a true Zero client that supports Citrix. I am sure Panologic, Teradici, Oracle would argue that.

There are a lot of Linux based clients, even from WYSE that are like the Zyneth client which have USB 2.0 ports.

WP

0 Kudos
joelwehr
Contributor
Contributor

Interesting.. I use Dell FX100's and this post made me look it up.. but the FX100 is also USB 1.1. 

0 Kudos
chillware1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

we use these in our environment http://www.digi.com/products/usb/anywhereusb  attach usb devices via network. works out pretty well.

0 Kudos
lanmaster411
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks chillware1 – very interesting product. Unfortunately, I need the whole package. Think I might be stuck using a thin-client until Teradici (or someone else) comes up with a USB 2.0 client.

0 Kudos
Meph1234
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

We trialled one of these

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF25a/12454-12454-321959-338927-5112717-5106204.html

the T5565Z.

They aren't true zero clients as they are running a lean version of ubuntu but they are designed to connect to xen desktop, Microsoft RDP and also View. You can set it up so its just like a zero client as in the user starts it, and they are just given options to log into view

Comes with usb 2 also, and a built in speaker (but its too tiny to do any good). As i said we trailed it and the person who was using it was very happy.

Cons: You'd be buying from a company who doesn't know if they want to keep their PC division, what if its sold to a company that doesn't want to pursue zero clients.

Cheers

Phil

VCA4-DT
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

There is never certainty / guarantee in anything. Company's always EOL products, go out of business, change pricing, introduce new products. It can be tough for a customer. The most common complaint I hear is customers buy a client that is under powered to do the tasks at hand today and five years from now. Typically this happens when the cheapest client is picked. Or they end up with a client that can't easily add  features in a rapidly developing space.

As much as the HP thin client biz could go away. You also could pick a source that is small and dedicated to thin clients but can't support you.

Good article with an interview from HP's Gruodan - http://www.thevarguy.com/2011/09/08/hps-groudan-despite-fud-thin-clients-not-going-anywhere/

WP

0 Kudos
lanmaster411
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Phil, I will try and get a couple HP clients to test out. Unfortunately it doesn’t look like any of them will run PCoIP (but rather RDP instead).

-Scott

0 Kudos