VMware Horizon Community
tcoogan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMware View Upgrade?

Hi

I have been using View 3 for a while and have a good working setup, providing desktop to thin clients.

It has become a requirement to move my current physical severs onto my Vmware setup, but according to the EULA the View bundle is for Desktop use only.

What would i need to upgrade to allow me to run server workloads and still be covered under the view licence and not breaking the EULA.

I release that something might need to be purchased or upgraded.

Also i relise that a whole new set of licences and / or hardware may need to be purchased

Thanks.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rbihlmeyer
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Disclaimer: I am an engineer, not a salesperson, you should check this with your sales contact. The following is my understanding.

You should have a "normal" VC license if you bought a 100-pack, or VC foundation (limited to 3 ESX) if you bought a starter. AFAIK this can be used for View and non-View (i.e. server) VMs and no new license is necessary here.

The interesting point is the ESX license, this cannot be (legally) used for server VMs. So you have to buy additional ESX licenses. You can use them for your existing HW, or for new servers. The important part is that you cannot run server VMs on your Desktop ESXen. You can, of course, run desktop VMs on your Server ESXen.

--

Robert Bihlmeyer / ASSIST / Internet Security AG

--
Robert Bihlmeyer / ASSIST / Arrow ECS GmbH

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
rbihlmeyer
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Disclaimer: I am an engineer, not a salesperson, you should check this with your sales contact. The following is my understanding.

You should have a "normal" VC license if you bought a 100-pack, or VC foundation (limited to 3 ESX) if you bought a starter. AFAIK this can be used for View and non-View (i.e. server) VMs and no new license is necessary here.

The interesting point is the ESX license, this cannot be (legally) used for server VMs. So you have to buy additional ESX licenses. You can use them for your existing HW, or for new servers. The important part is that you cannot run server VMs on your Desktop ESXen. You can, of course, run desktop VMs on your Server ESXen.

--

Robert Bihlmeyer / ASSIST / Internet Security AG

--
Robert Bihlmeyer / ASSIST / Arrow ECS GmbH
0 Kudos
tcoogan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We have VC Foundation.

So if i was to purchase a new server and one new esx licences i would be able to run server workloads?

Could this be managed by my current vCentre / vSphere or would I a new vCentre / VSphere as well?

I gathered it was the starter pack that limited me, in your understanding does the starter pack allow me to run server workloads?

0 Kudos