VMware Horizon Community
nnmansoori
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware View Upgrade

Hi, I am planning to upgrade my Virtual Desktop Infrastructure to Version 5, the Current version is

vSphere 4.1 U1,

vCenter is 4.1 U1,

VMware View Connection server 4.6.

Number if VMs is: 576, I should do the whole upgrade in 7 hours during mid-night.

1: I wonder, if I cannot upgrade Hardware Version and VMware Tools of some of the VMs, will I face any problem? my clients use VOIP software, I am afraid if in this way, there would be an issue on voice quality.

2: Is there any PowerCLI script to automate the VMware View Agent upgrade from version 4.6 to Version 5?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

1:  I don't think you will experience any issues.   Remember the best practice of installing the agent after the a tools upgrade.

2:  Not that I am aware of.   The best practice for linked clones is to update the agent in the image and then recompose.   On the full clones most people use some kind of SCCM type of solution to upgrade.

If you don't mind me asking why kind of VOIP solution are they using inside of the VMs?

0 Kudos
gunnarb
Expert
Expert

Ditto Tim but adding my input.

1) You won't have any problems, if you would I'd be having problems right now as I've been lazy and haven't upgraded my lab to the latest tools or hardware version.  This isn't recommended, but eh, it works.  Can't speak to VoIP, offically VoIP isn't recommended/supported via View, but my Skype works great still and that's as close to VoIP as I have.

2) No.  PowerCLI is more for managing View.  Ideally you are using Linked CLones if you have that many desktops, if so just update your master and recompose.

Gunnar

Gunnar Berger http://www.gunnarberger.com http://www.endusercomputing.com
0 Kudos
nnmansoori
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks a lot for your answer, actually I don't know exactly, cause it is outsourced to another Company  and we are just responsible for their Virtual Infrastructure, but I think it is a Chinese software.

0 Kudos