VMware Horizon Community
EricChampagne
Contributor
Contributor

VMware View : How to change all Linked Clones hardware ?

Hi !

Is there a way in Vmware View to change in bulk all VMs (XP) for a particular amount of RAM without deleting all the VM Clones ? or passing one by one all the VMs ? We have more than 100 VMs cloned.

What will be the best way ?

1) Modify my Parent VMs with the amount of RAM and then redeploy all VMs ?

2) Stop all VMs and change manually the amount of RAM ?

Any ideas will be great !

Eric

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

What will be the best way ?1) Modify my Parent VMs with the amount of RAM and then redeploy all VMs ?

If you do this, all your new VM's will have the updated RAM, but not your current.

2) Stop all VMs and change manually the amount of RAM ?

although not ideal, probably the easiest way if you want to get all the current VM's changed, then update the parent.

0 Kudos
EricChampagne
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks !

I gave 512 for every VMs (XP) is that is too much ? We don't have users with high demand. They use Office applications and some regular apps like that not very intensive. What do you suggest ?

Is there a VMware Calculator to determines how many VMs (XP) can run on a single ESX server ? We have 5 ESX with 2 x Quad-Core in each - 16G of RAM ...

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Personally I have found that I can run upto 11 XP guest per core when the guests are normal office users and about 8 per core on more heavy use cases. as to your original question, the manual updarte your your guest is the best way, however I would utilise a Powershell script to update the memory requirement in bulk. it would save you an inordinate ammount of time as you could just change the number if it later came apparent that the new memory ammount was too little

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth VCP / vExpert

VMware Communities User Moderator

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Contributing author for the upcoming book "VMware Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment”.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
pcomo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

To change my desktop RAM, i make this procedure:

Edit the Parent VM and Change the memory.

Make a snapshot of the Parent VM

Make a Reconfigure of the cloned pools with the new snapshot.

And all Desktops VM's will be reconfigured with the new amount of RAM.

Thanks.

0 Kudos