VMware Horizon Community
SKIRK505
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware View Composer installation Fails

We have been evaluating VMware View for a couple of weeks and all of a sudden the View Composer Server just stopped working. After troubleshooting for a couple of hours we decided to reinstall it. After uninstalling View Composer from the vCenter Server, we start attempting to install it and it keeps failing with no visable reason given. It gets all way to the last stage and starts coping files and, then just flasshes the message that it is "rolling back", then reports the install has failed.

Like I said before, this was installed only a couple of weeks ago and worked great, then all of sudden stopped.

I ran exported the svi-support files for the previous Composer install prior to uninstall it and can provide them if needed, and I have attached the vminst.log and vmmsi.log from the last failed installation.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
SKIRK505
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Found an article Related to an Error in the vminst.log "ERROR: SviCfgHelper_UnbindCertificate() returned value: 8" it referenced an article that said to search the registry and delete any keys that had "18443" in them. The SSL port Binding that View Composer is configured to use.

I searched the registry, found and deleted 2 keys  for SslBindingInfo "0.0.0.0:18433".

After deleted these two keys, I was able to complete the install and the server come up fine in View Administrator.

Still doesn't explain the reason the service stopped working int he first place, but reinstalling has resolved it.

0 Kudos
ebernard
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

First of all, if you need and want to reinstall it, after a quick overview, I saw the install says that View Composer is still installed. You probably need to reboot your vCenter to effectively uninstall the Composer service and dependancies.

So, try this, I'm investigating on the previous issues.

Emmanuel

Emmanuel BERNARD
Lead Solution Engineer | VMware Cloud | EMEA

Please mark "Helpful" or "Correct Answer" if applies. Appreciate it.
0 Kudos
amandasmith
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you verify the MD5 checksum of the downloaded composer package yet?

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else
0 Kudos
SKIRK505
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Amanda/Emmanuel

Thanks for your response. I did check both of those items and everything was good. It turned out to be the SSLBinding for 18443 not being removed during the inital uninstall. After I detailed the registry keys, the install completed successfully and the service came up.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos