VMware Horizon Community
benq201110141
Contributor
Contributor

VMware View Client - how to change Domain ?

Hi Guys,

we're setting up a new internal domain to migrate to, and as most of our user's have a Thin Client box connecting to a vm desktop via VMware View Client, i need to understand how we go about offering the option to select a different domain in the View Client connection window.

i've taken a look in the settings (gruop settings, global settings, individual vm settings) on our view connection server's VMware View Administrator web portal admin, but can not find if the setting is there to allow a log in to another domain.

the new domain is already available and on a seperate network with full forest trusts between existing and new.  as a test, i have remove one of the existing vms from the current domain and joined it to the new domain and logged in successfully to the new domain from an rdp session.  however trying to see how to do it via the view client

cheers

Ben

0 Kudos
10 Replies
benq201110141
Contributor
Contributor

*bump*

0 Kudos
marcdrinkwater
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can you see both Domains listed in View Admin?

0 Kudos
benq201110141
Contributor
Contributor

where would i find it listed in view admin?

0 Kudos
laputamadre
Contributor
Contributor

Its not possible to change domain in VMware View, but You can do that, doing this Smiley Happy

1. add the trust relationship beetwens new domain and old domain.

2. When You cant add trustrelationship, only one way is full reinstall of the environment anyway.

Regards

Rafal

0 Kudos
benq201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Ok so as mentioned , there is already a trust between the two domains and users of the new domain can log into they vm of the old domain. So trust is working. So is there a way to do this or will i have to create a new view connection server and join it to the new domain.  Thus from the users view client login screen, i would have to put the new view connection server in?

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

So you have already established the two way trust between the domains and have nothing.  Has anyone configured any domain filtering, http://pubs.vmware.com/view-50/index.jsp?topic=/com.vmware.view.administration.doc/GUID-582DCABE-A94..., that may be causing issues?  

benq201110141
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for pointing me in the right direction mittim.  however i used the admadmin tool and confirmed that the trusts are ative from view server's perspective:

(fyi, i've just hashed # out some letters of the two domain names for privacy.  apologies if this adds to confusion)

C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware View\Server\tools\bin>vdmadmin -N -domains -list -active
Domain Information (MELMGT08)
=============================
Primary Domain: aust###.local
Domain: AC# DNS:ac#.local
Domain: AUST### DNS:aust###.local

Question, where in View Administrator should I be able to see / set / configure the new domain?  or should that pop up automatically in the search for desktops as per the screenshot in my initial posting?

[edit]

i found the domain listing in view administrator (see attached pic).  however still baffled as to how i assign a user from new domain: ac#.local to a VM that is still joined to old domain: aust###, as searching in Users and Groups, there is no option to discover all users/ new users.  seems to be a listing of just those users and groups that have current access

i then opened an existing group and tried to add entitlement to a user from the new domain: ac#.local (see 2nd screenshot), but that also didnt find any results.  you can see also that the drop-down list under 'Domain' only shows the aust###.local domain.

?

0 Kudos
benq201110141
Contributor
Contributor

...and some more food for thought:

using the PowerCLI Cmdlets on the View Connection Server (http://pubs.vmware.com/view-50/index.jsp?topic=/com.vmware.view.integration.doc/view_integration_pow...) to discover users in both domains, only returns a result for the old domain aust###.local .  when i run the same query for new domain ac#.local it throws an error

1) here is the search for users aust###.local (although it returns an error the error is for too many results; max 100.  in the following eg i refine it to a user to show the search works for this domain)

PS C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware View\Server\bin> Get-User -domain "aust###.local"
Get-User : PowershellService::GetUser FAILED, error=Too many user results received from Active Directory, maximum: 100
At line:1 char:9
+ Get-User <<<<  -domain "aust###.local"
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidResult: (vmware.view.powershell.cmdlets.GetUser:GetUser) [Get-User], Exception
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PowershellService::GetUser FAILED,vmware.view.powershell.cmdlets.GetUser
2) search for specific user 'presentation' in domain aust###.local
PS C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware View\Server\bin> Get-User -domain "aust###.local" -name "presentation"
user              : 0
displayName       : aust###.local\presentation
distinguishedName : CN=Presentation User,OU=Other Accounts,OU=User,OU=ITSupport
                    ,OU=Organisation,DC=aust###,DC=local
Firstname         : Presentation
Surname           : Z
sid               : S-1-5-21-909854534-1462204774-825925034-1301
cn                : Presentation User
3) here's a search for users in ac#.local:
PS C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware View\Server\bin> Get-User -domain "ac#.local"

Get-User : PowershellService::GetUser FAILED, error=Unexpected error in Admin backend service:null
At line:1 char:9
+ Get-User <<<<  -domain "ac#.local"
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidResult: (vmware.view.powershell.cmdlets.GetUser:GetUser) [Get-User], Exception
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PowershellService::GetUser FAILED,vmware.view.powershell.cmdlets.GetUser

soooo, view adminstrator recognises that the new domain ac#.local in the GUI, but the PowerCLI console -on the same View Connection Server- doesnt see this new domain

??

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I would go ahead and open a ticket with VMware as this could be some type of bug they are already aware of.    I can tell you that I upgraded our lab environment which includes multiple domains and they are all still available.

benq201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All,

just FYI, as suggested, after logging a call with VMware, it was suggest a reboot of our view connection servers was worth a try.  we noted they had not been rebooted since the introduction of the new domain trust (270+days). 

and.... after the reboot, it worked!

IT Support fix #1 - reboot.  if that fails, try another reboot Smiley Happy

thanks everyone who contributed

cheers

0 Kudos