VMware Horizon Community
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VMware View Administration - Blank Admin Web Page

Hi All,

I am just setting up a test environment with the latest VMware View (5.0 Update 1)

I have installed vCenter Server 5.0 Update 1 - 639890 on one 2008 R2 VM, on that same VM, I installed View Composer 2.7.0 - 481620

On a seperate 2008 R2 VM, I installed View Connection Server (64 Bit) - 5.0.1 - 640055

The installs all went well with no issues, however, When i start the VMware View Administrator portal (https://localhost/admin), i just get a blank grey page. - ie no logon box..

I have Acrobat flash 10.2.159.1 installed. I have disabled IE Enhanced Secuirty Configuration (IE ESC)

Internet Explorer Version is version 8

Does anyone have any ideas as to why the VMview login box is not appearing on the admin page?

Thanks

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vSolid
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I’m really interesting in the issue you have here, so let work on this together shall we

May be this is can’t help be at least we try

When you type https://viewmanager/admin

Make sure that you use https first and also make sure admin word in small case because the web page name (admin) is case-sensitive

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
24 Replies
vSolid
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Try to restart View Connection Services

BR

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi BR,

I have restarted the server, which would in turn restart all the services.. No good

I have also restarted all the services individually.. No good

I have installed the server certificate within IE.. No good

The page still shows as blank

0 Kudos
vSolid
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ok, did you try to use other Web browser like firefox or even chrome?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yeah, have tried Firefox, and Chrome, and no good with either of them.. still the gloomy blank grey page

0 Kudos
MarAndreas
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

That sounds like the problem whynotq posted last week:

http://communities.vmware.com/message/2012602

vSolid
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I’m really interesting in the issue you have here, so let work on this together shall we

May be this is can’t help be at least we try

When you type https://viewmanager/admin

Make sure that you use https first and also make sure admin word in small case because the web page name (admin) is case-sensitive

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Thanks MarAndreas,

That link was helpful, I replaced the .swf with one from an older versino (Much older) - 366101, compared to 640055, and the login box has come up, and I can now login..

It is very slack for this bug to have passed thru Quality Control.. It seems Vmware are slacking a bit these days.. We just had to upgrade to vSphere 5.0 Update 1 to overcome an issue with the 5.0 vSphere, where Domain Controllers would not commuicate, even with all the ports on the firewall open!

Hopefully I won't come across any more bugs aka "Features"!

Thanks again

0 Kudos
bsguru
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

We are able to repro this issue with Adobe Flash player version 10.2.159.1  + IE8 .

Scenario:

01. Install Adobe Flash player version 10.2.159.1

02. Install View 5.0.1 Connection Server

Launch View admin  shows Blank gray web page.

Resolution : Upgrade the Adobe Flash player to latest version -  "install_flashplayer11x32ax_gtba_aih.exe".

We tested and verified that View admin page loaded successfully after upgrading Flash player

0 Kudos
FESNetOps
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Uninstalling and re-installing the latest version of Adobe Flash did not work for us.  What I did to resolve the issue is to replace the "Admin-640055.swf" Flash applet with the previous version's.  The one installed with View 5.0.1 appears to either be corrupt or just plain broken.

Steps:

1.  Open a 32-bit command ("cmd") prompt on the View Server machine (be sure to right-click as select "Run as Administrator")

2.  Locate a cached copy by searching for "Admin-481677*.swf".  Found a copy at the below directory:

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\[SESSION_ID]\Admin-481677[1].swf

3.  Copy this previous version's VMware applet to a the View flash admin directory:

C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware View\Server\broker\webapps\admin\flash

4.  Rename the SWF installed with 5.0.1 (Admin-640055.swf) and keep as a backup.  I just chose something simple: i.e. "Admin-640055.swf.bak".

5.  Place the prior version cached SWF file to match the current build number filename with View 5.0.1:  "Admin-640055.swf".

6.  Load up the View Admin portal by navigating to https://localhost/admin and the login page should now work.

7.  Profit???

After contacting VMware support as well, we were advisted to install the latest and greatest Adobe Flash (version 11.2.202.228 as of this post) to fix the issue.  This did not work for us.  The oddity is that I could navigate to the View Server admin portal directly from outside of our vSphere environment by IP address (https://X.X.X.X:443/admin), but this would not work for us long-term since our environment is segregated and remote access is restricted by our firewall; I happened accross this when I was troubleshooting with a laptop directly connected to the layer-2 switches.  The only differences between the View Server is the OS: Windows 2008R2 vs Windows 7 (64-bit) laptop running the exact same versions of Adobe Flash.

Hope this helps.

P.S. As someone else had posted, how did this update even get past QA?

--GG

0 Kudos
EdGummett
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for this.

Here's the .swf file for anyone else hitting this page.

Ed

0 Kudos
Jon_Holloway
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

We're unable to reproduce this other than in the situation described by bsguru above.  For everyone on this thread who has experienced the issue, it would be helpful if you can confirm:

a) did you only see the issue when attempting to connect to View Administrator whilst logged on to the Connection Server?

b) did you only see this issue when attempting to connect from a browser running on 2008R2 Server, and if so, what browser (and flash version if known).

c) for anyone who tried to solve this by moving to a later flash version, did you try clearing browser and flash player cache after upgrading flash, and then seeing if you can launch View Administrator correctly?

Thanks

Jon

0 Kudos
gummett
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Jon,

Thanks for looking into this.

a) did you only see the issue when attempting to connect to View Administrator whilst logged on to the Connection Server?

No, from 2 laptops as well.

b)  did you only see this issue when attempting to connect from a browser  running on 2008R2 Server, and if so, what browser (and flash version if  known).

No.  laptops run Windows 7 (x64), tried IE(9), Firefox(11) and Chrome(unknown version).  Chrome was the only one that worked.

c) for anyone who tried to solve this by moving to a later  flash version, did you try clearing browser and flash player cache  after upgrading flash, and then seeing if you can launch View  Administrator correctly?

Cleared I.E. cache, no change.

Please can you also comment on whether there is any negative impact (i.e. loss of functionality) by downgrading to the previous swf as we have done?

Thanks

Ed

0 Kudos
MarAndreas
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

c) for anyone who tried to solve this by moving to a later  flash version, did you try clearing browser and flash player cache  after upgrading flash, and then seeing if you can launch View  Administrator correctly?

Cleared I.E. cache, no change.

IIRC, Flash uses its own cache that is unaffected by clearing the browser cache.

There should be an entry in the Control Panel.

0 Kudos
Jon_Holloway
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Ed

Thanks for your prompt response, your information is useful.  I'm not aware of any impact from downgrading swf from 5.0.1 to 5.0.0 version, but it's certainly not something tested.  I want to ensure we work out steps to resolve this issue that do not involve downgrading swf.

You mentioned clearing the IE cash, however you should also be able to clear the Flash cache of a specific website - see http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager07.html

Interesting that Chrome worked - I wonder if that is the only 32-bit browser out of the ones you tried?

Thanks

Jon

0 Kudos
gummett
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks MarAndreas, hadn't seen that before.  I don't have the chance to check the effect of this though as I'm not at that site, and I'd have to 'un-revert' the .swf file back again on the production environment which I wouldn't be able to do...

Jon, thanks for the info.  I don't think any of the browsers were in 64bit mode.  For clarity we had IE + Chrome on 1 laptop and IE + firefox on the other.

Ed

0 Kudos
maverick87
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We have the same issues with the admin page. We try to connect with IE and Firefox. The product ih the first installation and it is in evalution mode in our company.

We alrady had install the new flash update.

Is there a possibility to solve the problem, because we have no old installation of the product.

0 Kudos
Jon_Holloway
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Maverick87

Sorry to hear you're seeing this issue.  Have you tried to connect to View Administrator from both a browser running on the Connection Server and from a browser on another machine?

Thanks

Jon

0 Kudos
Jon_Holloway
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Maverick87

A further update.  Can you confirm whether the browser you are trying to connect to View Administrator from has internet access?  If it hasn't, can you try accessing View Administrator from a browser that does have internet access and let me know if that works?

Thanks

Jon

0 Kudos
D2k
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

None of these answer works on my system....

Just change your browser to Opera 11.62 and Voilaaa it works like a charm !

Regards,

D2k

0 Kudos