VMware Horizon Community
mulcahy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware View 5, cannot connect to connection server

Has anyone seen an issue with not being able to connect to a View 5 connection server, either with smart clients or even using the http://localhost/admin on the server? We had Windows patches pushed last night and now the software appears to not be working.

Windows 2003 R2 Ent edition

VMware View 5

I noticed the patching procedures require you to uninstall view but not the ADAM, so in theory I should be able to uninstall and reinstall without affecting the prior information stored. Has anyone tried this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the forums.  I have never uninstalled and reinstalled but you should be able to backup the ADAM DB and restore if necassary.    Have you checked the VIew logs to see if you can figure out why it's not reponding?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the forums.  I have never uninstalled and reinstalled but you should be able to backup the ADAM DB and restore if necassary.    Have you checked the VIew logs to see if you can figure out why it's not reponding?

0 Kudos
mulcahy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have run "Generate View Connection Server Log Bundle", which generated alot of logs. I have peeked through a couple but nothing thus far. I see alot of diagnostics that ran and I don't see any errors. Since it looks like something is wrong with the local webpage I cannot see any logs using the gui.

Since this is just a small prototype I really have no problem with rebuilding the whole thing if need be, I will just have to clone thier existing vm's and use them in the desktop pool. Tomorrow I will uninstall the app and reinstall just to see how it reacts in case I have to again in the future, will let you know the outcome.

0 Kudos
mulcahy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So I uninstalled VMware View Connection Server, patched the server, and rebooted.

,Went to reinstall and it told me something had taken control of port 80 and it could not finish installation. Looked in IIS manager and sure enough Default Website was using 80, so I changed it to port 82 and shut down the Default website.

Started the install again, and made it to the point where they ask if you want to use the existing ADAM installtion, clicked yes, and the install finished!

Fired up the Admin page logged in and everything was exactly how It was before patches. Not sure what MS patch caused this havoc. Thinking about having a non-prod view server to test updates on now Smiley Happy

Thanks for the help mittim12, and thanks VMware for a product I can uninstall and reinstall without having to restore all the data.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

View uses tomcat so if your not using IIS for anything else you can probably go ahead and remove that role from the machine. 

0 Kudos