VMware Horizon Community
chevell
Contributor
Contributor

VMware View 5.0 and iPad Client

Greetings,

I have just upgraded my entire infrastructure to ESX/View 5.0. Everything is working perfectly except for the iPad client. I get the traditional "Desktop is loading to slowly" message every time.

I have a Windows 7 laptop with the latest View client on it and it connects fine through 3G to my Win7 virtual machine within view. When I use the same settings to connect via my iPad, I get the above error.

The fact that the laptop connects fine (if a little slowly), leads me to believe that everything is set up right, everything is connecting and working fine, and that there might be an incompatibility with the iPad client in its current version and VMware View 5.0.

Has anyone been able to successfully connect to View 5.0 virtual machines using the iPad client?

Thank in advance.

--

Dave

0 Kudos
6 Replies
sketchy00
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Are you using PCoIP or RDP?   It would be interesting to see if you exhibit the same behavior by using the Wyse PocketCloud app for the iPad, then try a PCoIP connection from the iPad.

0 Kudos
chevell
Contributor
Contributor

PCoIP on both clients.

I don't have pocket cloud, but it would be interesting to know if it works....

0 Kudos
matzeetc
Contributor
Contributor

As far as I know, the view Client for IPad only supports PCoIP as the connection protocol. I guess you have to wait a little until the new Client for IPad is released. I am sure VMware releases it in a couple of days or maybe weeks.

0 Kudos
squevill
Contributor
Contributor

I have used the iPad View client successfully to connect to a View 5 beta as well as GA environments.  It works well over the Internet over 3G via Security server, wifi at home via Security server as well as lab wifi at work directly connecting to the View Connection server.  I would make sure that you can indeed connect with a PC using PCoIP, check the View console to see if it does say "PCoIP" for the protocol.  It could be that it is using RDP without you knowing it.

If PCoIP works from the PC, from the exact same network than the iPad,  then I can't think of what it could be.

0 Kudos
Datanuts
Contributor
Contributor

This is not really an answer exactly, but I have both pocket cloud and view client connecting to my View 4.6 connection server via cisco SSL vpn. Connecting with pocket cloud is slow and jerky but functional. It uses rdp which is not as clean as PCoIP. Using View client for the iPad, I was initially able to connect to the connection server and see my available desktops, but I got the ill fated warning, " your connection is too slow, try connecting via VPN" then a black screen, then disconnected. I researched it and could not come up with much except answers regarding prior View version problems and firewall ports. Since I am connecting via SSL VPN, I thought the fact that I'm trying to establish an encrypted PCoIP connection over an already encrypted  SSL VPN connection would cancel itself out and that was the issue. However, I contacted my colleagues and some were able to connect fine. More than fine actually, some were extremely happy to use ipad view client instead of pocket cloud which they had been using prior to my inquery. So after more testing, they decided to give me access to some other View desktops to see if that would work and it did. After further investigation, I found that this issue was not unique to me as my other colleague could connect fine to the desktop I was having issues with but couldn't connect to the one that I was finally able to get through on. I have a ticket open with Tech Support now to try and figure out why access seems to vary between VDI clients. I hope this helps some. As soon as I come up with a solution, I will post the update.

0 Kudos
sketchy00
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I have a Pilot project of View 5.0 up and running, with the ability to connect via PocketCloud (RDP) and the View Client (PCoIP) externally.  If you are having difficulty, I'd look into what you are using to pass your SSL traffic through to your Security Server.  Content inspection can sometimes mean that it terminates, decrypts, inspects, repackages, and sends the traffic onto the destination.  That is fine when its pushing http through SSL, but not so much when you are pushing RDP.  Considering how the connection configurations are for RDP and PCoIP for a typical layout, this can be an issue (as it was for me).

0 Kudos