VMware Horizon Community
Nima_VM
Contributor
Contributor

VMware View 5.0 Backup planner

Hey guys,

I have a problem with View 5.0 backup planning. In the VMware View administration, it says just backup from these components:

View LDAP by via Viwe Administrator

View Composer Database via SQL and svi file

vCenter SQL Database,

But notting says about VMs backup. I used vDR to backup my linked-clone desktops. I get backup from Replica, Linked-Clone VMs and Parent VM.

I takes backup from View LDAM, View Composer Database, vCenter Database and View Composer SVI file. Then format all of my laboratory and install all of component again.

First, restore View LDAP on View Administrator using "vdmimport" command, then restore View Composer Database and its svi file. Restore vCenter Database and finally restore VMs using vDR. Every things restore prefectly, all pools, all Desktops and all VMs in vCenter. But neigher all VMs stop working.

I change Linked-Clone Pool datastore to new datastore and use Rebalance to solve problem, but just an error appear in Desktop status: IRDT:Null.

After power on VMs, they go to boot from DHCP and do not boot. Also the Parent snapshot that Linked-Clone VMs use it, isn't in Snapshot manager. Smiley Sad

What should I do for perform backup on real environment?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Why would you want to backup the linked clones?   Linked clones are built to be dynamic for a refresh or recompose which means as long as you have the parent machine backed up you could easily deploy new clones.   

0 Kudos
pizaro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ditto on mittim12's response - you shouldn't have to back up the linked clones themselves - they are simply pointer references to the replica image, which you clone from the master.  As long as you back up all the masters and its snapshot children (a.k.a replicas), you could easily create new linked clones in case of a catrastrophic failure. 

are you using persistent disks & persona?  be sure to back up those of a frequent basis! 

in case you haven't read already, a high level backup/restore guide from VMW for View:

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/techpaper/VMware-View-Backup-Best-Practices.pdf

-wen

twitter: @wensteryu

blog: www.supersonicdog.com

0 Kudos
Nima_VM
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for reply mittim12

Unfortunately, restore Linked-Mode's Parent VM doesn't work. Its snapshot doesn't include vDR backup and the VM doesn't boot and stuk in DHCP boot. My Linked_Mode Desktops are include Persistent Disk on another Datastore and their profile saved.

I think must after failuer, shoud restore View LDAP and View Composer Database and make a new parent vm and then create new pools.

Is there any better solution?

0 Kudos