VMware Horizon Community
hells_mels
Contributor
Contributor

VMware View 4.5 Reference Architecture

A colleague recently went to the VMware PEX in Florida, he attended the "VMware View 4.5 Reference Architecture" workshop.

He was shown a recommended View configuration using SSD's in a RAID0 arrangement.

My understanding is that the SSD's used (Intel X-25M) had a SATA interface so I presume it follows that they must have been attached to a SATA RAID controller of some sort?

I understand that "IDE RAID and SATA RAID are not supported for the VMFS file system." Does this mean that even though a VMware representative stated it was a "reference" model, if we used it in a production environment, any problems we had with it would not be supported?

Using SSD's within the host for the linked clones makes a lot of sense, but the relatively small capacity of these drives means to get any useful storage out of them you have to RAID stripe them. Also having them as local storage rather than from a storage array (apart from the horrendous cost of EFD's) means less stress on the array and a better response for the client.

I think I've probably already answered my question before asking it, so crystal ball time - do the new caching features coming in View 5 mean that SATA RAID will soon be supported?

As more SATA RAID products appar, our preference would be to use RAID 5  or 6 (some sort of redundancy) but is this just a pipe dream?

We are getting a lot more enquires regarding VDI and it would be helpful to know where VMware were going with it. Is it even worth promoting this model to potential clients apart from use as a POC?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

If you are asking about features in coming version you will not get a reply here.

Contact your local VMware Sales-team and ask for a roadmap-presentation from one of their engineers.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

Agreed above, and sometimes you may need NDA signed as well.

0 Kudos
hells_mels
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry - although it does sound like it, I wasn't asking for any "insider" information, just thinking out loud.

I've asked the presenter of the PEX workshop for the exact spec of what  he used, but I'm curious how a reference architecture cannot be supported.

VDI is a hot potato for us and we get excited by anything that makes it more of a science rather than a "black art". Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

any future features of vmware is tightly guarded. 😃

0 Kudos
SDO1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi there,

wel theres really nothing magical about it ..

what your design should look like is as always when we are talking "it depends" .. what kind of users/applikations etc ..

SSD's should mostly be used for replicas at the moment, and thats what should be a focus for everybody. what do we have today that is working.

Ive seen borh HP/Cisco's reference architetures and they are constructed by HP/Cisco and VMware .. so if you take a look at them you will get alot of info about how the hardware / software availible today the vendors recomend.

Also remember VDI designs isnt a success  when the storage guys are happy - its when users and thereby management is  😄

just a quick thought ..

0 Kudos