VMware Horizon Community
DMSharp
Contributor
Contributor

VMware View 4.5 External Connection Drops

I am in the middle of an eval of VMware view 4.0. I have one connection server setup and one security server setup. Both are Server 2003. The security server is accessible from outside the firewall. Everything was connecting fine. I saw that VMware View 4.5 came out so I decided to upgrade. I ran the upgrade on both servers. Everything went through fine with no errors or issues. I have also updated the agent on each one of the desktops that are in the pool.

I am able to connect fine from inside the firewall, but when connecting from outside I am able to get logged in and choose which pool I want to connect to. Then it starts connecting and I get a black screen as it's trying to connect to the desktop and then I get the following error:

"The connection to the remote computer ended"

None of my settings should have changed. I have checked all the usual stuff. External url settings, DNS name resolution, etc. Everything is as it was. Restarted the servers a few times. Is there something different that needs to be done with this new version?

Thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Do you have any strange errors in any of the logs from the client, security server, or connection broker?

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

Twitter: http://twitter.com/mittim12

0 Kudos
eeg3
Commander
Commander

Make sure you're not trying to use the PCoIP protocol over the security server, as it is will not work. With 4.5, I've seen it switch the protocols based on last used by any client, it seems.

blog.eeg3.net | Useful VMware-related Links

If you found this or any other post helpful, please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points.

Blog: http://blog.eeg3.net
0 Kudos
DMSharp
Contributor
Contributor

This issue has seemed to have resolved itself. I came back to it and it is now working.

0 Kudos
MickQuick
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I've set up a View 4.5 connection manager , composer and security server, many pools, RDP and PCoIP allowed. Over LAN everything works fine, over Internet i've got same error "connection ended" if I use PCoIP, if I use RDP i can access to my VD

Thanks

Michele

0 Kudos
acraiger
Contributor
Contributor

I have the exact same issue.

From external internet, it authenticates, lets me select the pool.

I hit connect, and it looks like it is going to connect for 15 seconds, then gives the message box as shown at the top of this post.

Using vmware view 4.5 with esx 4.1

All servers are running Server 2008 R2

I can connect to the security server when inside, but from outside externally from the internet it will not work.

Everything is working except for this last crucial piece.

Anyone have any suggestions

0 Kudos
CMCC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm having the same problem. My desktops are XP SP3.

Please help!!! I already tried everything I know.

acraiger wrote:

I have the exact same issue.

From external internet, it authenticates, lets me select the pool.

I hit connect, and it looks like it is going to connect for 15 seconds, then gives the message box as shown at the top of this post.

Using vmware view 4.5 with esx 4.1

All servers are running Server 2008 R2

I can connect to the security server when inside, but from outside externally from the internet it will not work.

Everything is working except for this last crucial piece.

Anyone have any suggestions

Celia.-
0 Kudos
acraiger
Contributor
Contributor

If it drops, it's probably using the incorrect protocol.

From the internet you can only use rdp.

To use PCOIP from the internet you need a vpn connection, this is a requirement.

VMWare is working with Teradici to enable pcoip without a vpn.

By default when you setup vmware view, it will try to use pcoip.

So you can either start the vmware client with the command line switch:  -desktopprotocol rdp

it would look like this:

C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware View\Client\bin\wswc.exe remotedesktop rdp

Or in the vmware view administrator, change the settings to where rdp is the default, and not let the user select which which protocol.

0 Kudos