VMware Horizon Community
morrisosu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware View 4.5 - Disconnected sessions connect back to black screen or just close after about 5 secs...

Working with VMware View 4.5 using Windows XP Pro SP3 images and connecting via PCoIP, everything works great on the cloned VMs with the exception of re-connects.

If I have a user disconnect their desktop and then attempt to reconnect to the same desktop the screen will be black, if you act quick you can get the screen back if you enter any keyboard input, but it will come up as if CTRL-ALT-DEL had been pressed as I see the "Windows Security" pop-up. I have checked for any screensavers or anything like that and nothing so far.

Did not have this issue in 4.0.1.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Shane

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
eeg3
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Do you run into the same issue with a vanilla XP desktops with no modifications? Are there any security or banner GPO's being applied to these desktops?

View can freak out if there is a logon banner.

blog.eeg3.net | Useful VMware-related Links

If you found this or any other post helpful, please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points.

Blog: http://blog.eeg3.net

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
eeg3
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

What do you see if you open the Virtual Desktop through the vSphere Client once the user gets locked out?

If you found this or any other post helpful, please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points.

morrisosu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Interesting! I get the user's desktop on the console! During that brief period when the user has a black screen on the view client the vcenter console shows the user's desktop.

Any clues?

0 Kudos
eeg3
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

I haven't ran into this issue before with reconnecting, unfortunately.

Is there anything enlightening in C:\Windows\Temp\vmware-viewcomposer-ga-new.log or the Event Viewer on the VM when the issue occurs?

morrisosu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Only thing i can see that looks interesting and partially relevant is in the app event log on the VM:

Event Type: Warning

Event Source: TPAutoConnSvc

Event Category: None

Event ID: 0

Date: 9/13/2010

Time: 1:15:14 PM

User: N/A

Description:

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( TPAutoConnSvc ) cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer, or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer, or contact the component manufacturer for a newer version.

and

Event Type: Information

Event Source: VMware View

Event Category: VMware View

Event ID: 102

Date: 9/13/2010

Time: 1:13:06 PM

User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

Description:

Closed PCoIP connection doesn't match global value

0 Kudos
morrisosu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well this one is starting to drive me crazy, I've tried re-creating the base image and I am still getting having this issue. Its as if the agent gets confused and lags to log the user back on during the reconnect. I've gone though the steps of setting the video back on on the base image, everything works great as far as the user experience (screen re-size,working inside the VM, etc..) but the re-connects just don't come back the way they should, we get a black screen and occasionally a "Windows Security" pop-up.

I am baffled!

0 Kudos
eeg3
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Do you run into the same issue with a vanilla XP desktops with no modifications? Are there any security or banner GPO's being applied to these desktops?

View can freak out if there is a logon banner.

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

This might sound a little bit far fetched but I have ran into issues a few times where you have a clone of a clone of a clone... etc, as the base image.

That will sometimes mess things up with the Windows AD security stuff.

So when you have run out of the easy options, try a complete new Windows install and see if that is the problem here.

Best regards,

Linjo

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
morrisosu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I tried isolating the cloned VMs into a container with no GPOs applied and still no luck. I am going to try a re-build from scratch and use the plain vanilla image and see what happens. I'll post the results as soon as I find out!

Thanks for everyone's help.

0 Kudos
morrisosu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok plain vanilla didn't help, however I think I am on to something. Preliminary tests so far indicate that the issue is with my user GPO setting that sets the "Remove Lock Computer" set to enabled. I have user settings applied at the computer level, I have many user settings set to lock the VM down and I was just using trail and error to isolate the setting and i think this is the setting causing the issue. If I set the "Remove Lock Computer" to disabled the black screen issue disappears!

Anyone have any idea why this may be? Agent script that relies on this maybe?

0 Kudos
kcarlile
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is pretty old now, but basically, if the VM is allowed to put the screen to sleep, you'll see this problem.

0 Kudos
morrisosu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

For us it ended up being the GPO setting we had enabled that restricts the "Remove Lock Computer". I assume having this enabled interfered with View's ability to perform the re-connect in some manner.

0 Kudos
S_Grimbuhler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi

I found this old topic when searching a solution to a very similar problem.

I'm in View 5 on vSphere 5 with Windows 7 Desktops and PCoIP.

the problem is still present in this version.

When the GPO to remove the "lock" option is enable, when users disconnect their session, re-connect show a screen like if ctrl-alt-del was pressed.

If the GPO is "Not configured" or disabled, disconnect and reconnect work fine.

I need to set the GPO remove lock desktop. Someone has a solution or an idea?

Another point but same kind of problem: I want to desactivate the ctrl+alt+INSERT in a View desktop. ctrl+alt+del is desactivated, but the ctrl+alt+insert act as ctrl+alt+del in my virtual Desktop.

thanks for your help.

Stéphane Grimbuhler

Senior Virtualization & Storage consultant (VCP / VCAP-DCA)

VMware Instructor (VCI)

My Blog : www.virtualgeek.ch

Grimbuhler Stéphane (VCP, VCAP-DCA, VCI) www.virtualgeek.ch (My virtualization blog)
0 Kudos
kcarlile
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am currently out of the office and am planning to return April 4th.

Ken Carlile

UNIX Engineer, Scientific Computing Systems

Janelia Farm Research Campus, HHMI

0 Kudos