VMware Horizon Community
pitineo
Contributor
Contributor

VMware VIEW Offline Desktop for iPAD

Dear All,

As you all know, vmware view offline desktop is a great technology and I'm a big fan of it.

We have some users who would love to get rid of their laptops and replace them with iPADs.

Is there anyway we could provide offline desktop capabilities on iPads ?

thanks in advance,

Christophe.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
theandyorr
Contributor
Contributor

Currently, no.

Sorry, let me edit that. Supported under the official VMware View app. for iPad - no. I have not heard of any other product offering offline desktop VM capabilities for the iPad either.

Message was edited by: theandyorr

0 Kudos
pitineo
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, Given the iPad fever going on (2 million units sold in less than 5 days), it could be a great advancement to have offline capabilities ...

0 Kudos
SDO1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

why would you want to do that? you are aware of how the offline capabilities work? you need to sync the entire image from your datacenter to your ipad and run it on locale resources .. so with x users doing this - guess the wlan bandwith and time this operation will work ..

And on top of that the ipad would then also be running your windows 7 .. i dont know where to start with the reasons why you shouldt do this ..

i think im just left with  the "WHY" feeling .. 

0 Kudos
pitineo
Contributor
Contributor

The main reason to do this is we have few VIP users who want iPads. That's it, the whole R&D starts there. So we will have users with their laptops and their iPads, it'll be a nightmare to manage, to backup, to secure, to control... That's why we would like them to be able to be able to use the best of those two worlds.

Our system images are optimized and weighs less than 40Gigs. Bandwidth wise 10 users at most won't be an issue.

We need to test this before jumping into conclusions, It doesn't exist yet but hopefully it'll one day ...

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos
grossag
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I don't believe that doing something like this on a current iPad would allow for a good user experience.  A remote experience with PCoIP really makes more sense for the iPad.  Desktop virtualization only has a good user experience if you have enough RAM and CPU for both your host OS and your guest OS.  With a dual-core ~1GHz processor and 512MB RAM for an iPad this wouldn't be enough resources for any Windows VM and the iPad to share.  So users may think they want this but if they actually did, I doubt they would like it.

0 Kudos
pitineo
Contributor
Contributor

If it's only a matter of ressources, that can be arranged Smiley Happy

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos
SDO1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

well with the specs the ipad has i wouldnt even think it was worth installing a win7 on natively (if that was possible) let alone share it with ipad own os .. and sync'ing 20/30/40 gb templates over a wlan will have to be designed for imo .

0 Kudos
theandyorr
Contributor
Contributor

I can see the desire for some users to want to run a VM locally from the iPad, but I think more than anything the direction that both Apple and VMware are headed is more reliant on a network/internet connection, in which case the uses for an offline desktop on the iPad would decrease. I don't think you'll ever see this happen.

A more probable solution would be app publishing through the View client, that would give the illusion of a user running a Windows application directly from their iPad OS (ala VMware Fusion)...

0 Kudos
SDO1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

you mena like c*tr*x? ;-D

0 Kudos
pitineo
Contributor
Contributor

Hmmm now that's interesting ...

0 Kudos
eeg3
Commander
Commander

XenApp does not work in offline mode as far as I know. It's the same principal as the ipad view client in that it is streamed.

Blog: http://blog.eeg3.net
0 Kudos
HelleM
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I guess it would be problematic to run windows on the ARM processor in the iPad, since windows is build to run on x86.

just my 2 cents

/Helle

0 Kudos