VMware Horizon Community
haripadmam
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

VMware VDI Domain Migration

Hi Folks,

We are planning to migrate our VDI infrastructure to a new domain. I know few steps to be followed and I mentioed here below. Please let me know I miss something.

1. Add new domain user in AD

2. Assign all the priviledges as required to the newly created domain user in AD (as like existing VDI administrator have)

3. Stop all the Vmware services and add the server to new domain

4. Add this new domain user to local admin group of View servers and vCenter servers (if the same user is being used to administer vCenter inventory)

5. Restart all the servers

6. User entitlements needs to be remapped

Kindly let me know if I missed anything. Also if there is any other way to migrate VDI server to new domain and also the user desktops entitlements.

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Hari.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

There is nothing in your list for the actual desktops, are you planning to move those or just to create new ones?

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
haripadmam
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi Bro,

Thank you so much for your response...

Actual desktops are mostly in workgroup and few are in domain which shall be migrated the by the concern application vendor... Honestly I'm not concerned about them... :smileysilly: But as a view desktops, yes I like those to be available as they are to the users after migration.... is there anything I have to do in addition to make those available to users as there are? or Just rework the entitlements alone will do?

So my lists covers everything to do in server side and with entitlements?

Thank you for your great help!!!

Regards,

Hari.

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Have never done a Domain Migration so its hard to know, but I do suspect that there is some references in the AD LDS.

I would do two things if I was you, first use ADSI-Edit and search through the AD LDS for strings that correlate to your AD and second to open an Support Request with VMWare support and see if they have some good ideas on how to do it. (You are paying for support so why not use it!)

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
haripadmam
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi bro,

That’s really a good idea… Let me open a case with VMware on this. Once I’m through I will post the result here may be somebody else could use. Once again thank you so much for your response.

--

Best Regards,

S Hari Narayanan

0 Kudos
scrookston
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi were you able to complete this successfully? Can you advise the process VMware support gave you?

Sean http://www.seancrookston.com http://www.twitter.com/seancrookston
0 Kudos
xcracer471
Contributor
Contributor

I am getting ready to undertake the exact same process to move to a new AD domain/forest.  I was hoping that you could post what you were able to learn from your experience with VMware support.  It would benefit others I am sure.

Thanks!

0 Kudos