VMware Horizon Community
skinnieh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware Integrated Printing and Linux based (IGEL) CUPS printer issues

Hi All,

We are running the very latest Horizon 8 (2006) environment and as a result we are forced to use VMware Integrated Printing... the older method has been removed altogether.

However, when we configure a CUPS printer (using the PPD that belongs to that printer model) on an IGEL OS thin-client the printer is visible in VDI as expected, but with some problems:

1. Clicking "Printer Properties" will throw the following error
intregrated-printing-cups.png

2. Users are reporting printing issues with only black/white available and issues selecting proper paper sizes etc

Googling the error message i can't find any results. VMware documentation states Linux is supported, but i have a hard time figuring out what to expect. 

In contrast: When a windows Horizon client connects to the environment and it has a local printer installed, the printer is visible and using the VMware Universal EMF Driver. Everything works without any errors popping up.

Am i doing something wrong? Is it not yet fully supported under Linux? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Caixia
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi skinnieh,

Just checked the logs, seems there is some error when get PPD content in thin-client side.

Could you help to check these things?

1. there are ppd files in path /etc/cups/ppd and the content is correct and not empty.

2. there is a prlinuxcupsppd file in both /usr/bin and /usr/lib/cupsPPD path.

If 1 doesn't exist, it should be printer installer problem. U can reinstall the printer drivers.

If the 1 do exist but 2 doesn't. there is a great possibility that integrated-printing-setup.sh doesn't execute correct.

you can manual try it with this command in terminal: cd /usr/lib/vmware/view/integratedPrinting; sudo ./integrated-printing-setup.sh -i. Then reconnect the session and check the printers.

Thanks

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
ofox
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Linux is supported in Horizon 8(2006). To start investigation for your issue, could you please help us to understand more?

1. the printer model info? the printer driver info?

2. the agent OS version?

3. have you tried other printer with the same IGEL client? Result?

4. have you tried Horizon fat Linux client with the same printer? Result?

0 Kudos
Caixia
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Could you please help collect the latest logs for both linux client and windows agent?

Windows Agent

1. Set verbose loglevel in registry

Please set on agent side as below:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.\VMware VDM\PrintRedir

LogLevel       REG_SZ                       verbose

2. Collate print-*.logs in folder C:\ProgramData\VMware\VDM\logs

Linux client:

1. Set verbose log level, run following command in the terminal, please create the folder if  .vmware does not exist

echo "print-client.logLevel=verbose"  >> ~/.vmware/config

2. Collect vmware-print*.log  in folder /tmp/vmware-<username>

You need reconnect the desktop after all loglevels are set. And better clear the log folder before reproduce the issue

Thanks.

0 Kudos
skinnieh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Both,

Thanks for the quick reply. I have created the logs, but i am not allowed to attach it to this thread (valid types are only jpg, gif, png, pdf, pptx). How can i send them to you? Or do you want me to post a specific portion of the logs here?

Printer Model Info = Xerox WorkCentre 7845
Agent OS Version = Windows 10 Enterprise 1909 (running Horizon 8 2006)
Tried other printer = Yes. Result is the same (tried other CUPS printers already embedded in IGEL OS)
Tried Horizon Fat Linux = No. The IGEL OS version is 11.04.140 and is the only build to include Horizon Client 2006.

0 Kudos
Caixia
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi skinnieh,

The community web should allow attach zip files. just as this thread. https://communities.vmware.com/t5/Horizon-Desktops-and-Apps/VMWare-Integrated-Printing-not-working-H...

Or you can send the logs to my email caixiabai@gmail.com

Thanks.

0 Kudos
skinnieh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just emailed it to you. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Caixia
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi skinnieh,

Just checked the logs, seems there is some error when get PPD content in thin-client side.

Could you help to check these things?

1. there are ppd files in path /etc/cups/ppd and the content is correct and not empty.

2. there is a prlinuxcupsppd file in both /usr/bin and /usr/lib/cupsPPD path.

If 1 doesn't exist, it should be printer installer problem. U can reinstall the printer drivers.

If the 1 do exist but 2 doesn't. there is a great possibility that integrated-printing-setup.sh doesn't execute correct.

you can manual try it with this command in terminal: cd /usr/lib/vmware/view/integratedPrinting; sudo ./integrated-printing-setup.sh -i. Then reconnect the session and check the printers.

Thanks

0 Kudos
skinnieh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Caxia,

#1 was popluated fine

#2 seemed to be the problem!

Ran chmod 755 on integrated-printing-setup.sh and ran it ./integrated-printing-setup.sh -i
Now when i log on and check the printer the error message is gone when clicking Printer Properties and the printer window now looks like this:

integrated-printing-cups-better.png

integrated-printing-cups-better2.png

Is this the expected behavior? Especially the model and driver fields, are they correct?

And if this is all correct, should i concern myself with setting paper sizes and whatnot (it requires administrator privileges), or is that not necessary with this integrated printing / ppd configuration?

Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
Caixia
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi skinnieh,

The printer seems correct, including the driver.

I think the attached printer properties pages is from control panel. Here need admin privileges since you are joined  with non-admin user. However, there is no need to change the printer settings here since apps still use old setting in most of the times.

So the recommend method is change the printer setting when you do really printing.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
skinnieh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks a lot for your help, it is much appreciated! Case closed 🙂

0 Kudos