VMware Horizon Community
VMViewGal
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware Horizon stuck and long boot time

After a weekly refresh, the vm in VMware Horizon View shows a status of "Startup" and will not allow someone to boot to the machine unless I manually reset their machine. This recently started happening, there are no error messages, it just hangs at startup. At other times, vm's can take 10 minutes or longer to boot. What would cause these issues? This is a Windows 7 64 bit machine and no changes have been made.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
VMViewGal
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Update on testing and very long webex with VMware - it was found that the NTP setting on one esx host was not running - not sure how we missed it. Once started, time eventually synched (it was off by 10 min.). I'm still testing to verify, but confident the issue is resolved.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Have you found anything of substance in any of the View logs for the machines?    Does everything related to DNS seem to be working correctly?

nzorn
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Are you able to ping or access these desktops in a "Startup", or are they still actually booting up?

I ran into a similar problem and it was DST causing the problem.

https://communities.vmware.com/message/2355797

https://communities.vmware.com/message/2361580

0 Kudos
VMViewGal
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

There are no log files while the machines are booting. I did pull files after the user logged in and still going through these. DNS seems to be working correctly.

0 Kudos
VMViewGal
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The machine shows actually booting up. I don't believe it's a DST since that should affect all machines in the same pool, however it's usually just one or two and it's happened even before the DST. At this time, it looks like I have three issues:

1. View Desktop takes 10 minutes to restart
2. View Desktop takes 1 hour to restart
3. View Desktop boots without a C: drive, restart needed

It's possible that 1 and 2 are related, however I think I'll need to open a ticket with VMware at this time.

0 Kudos
vcpguy
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I would think this is related with DNS setting. Can you check and let us know the results.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please don't forget to reward Points for helpful hints; answers; suggestions. My blog: http://vmwaredevotee.com
0 Kudos
Pooran98
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Are you experiencing any storage latency on your VMs?  If not you may want to try removing one of the affected VMs and allowing View to provision a new one and see if the problem persists. 

0 Kudos
VMViewGal
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This wasn't DNS related and there's no storage latency. The tech confirmed this in a webex yesterday. I'm thinking if there's an issue with the Agent. Tried to set a delayed start and wasn't able to do so. Found a KB article that's related - re: Installing VMware View Agent or View Composer fails with the error: The system must be rebooted before installation can continue (1029288).

0 Kudos
VMViewGal
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Update on testing and very long webex with VMware - it was found that the NTP setting on one esx host was not running - not sure how we missed it. Once started, time eventually synched (it was off by 10 min.). I'm still testing to verify, but confident the issue is resolved.

0 Kudos