Contributor

VMware Horizon View - Recompose build improper VM configuration

Environment:

vCenter Server v5.5.0 on Windows Server 2012 Standard x64

VMware Horizon View 5.3.1 on Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard x64

VM OS Windows 7 x64 (VM-Win7)

Problem description:

Note 1:

VMware Horizon View Administration procedure Add build new VM-Win7 properly, with internal.vmdk and SCSI controller type LSI Logic Parallel.

Issue 1:

VMware Horizon View procedure View Composer > Recompose initiate recompose of VM-Win7. During the recompose SCSI controller type is changed to BusLogic Parallel, vCenter Server Powering on VM-Win7 fails with the error „The Buslogic SCSI adapter is not supported for 64-bit guests.“ and recompose procedure cannot be finished.

Note 2:

After vCenter Administrator intervention, correction the configuration of VM-Win7 SCSI controller to LSI Logic Parallel, the recompose procedure is restored and finished successfully.

Question:

How to  configure settings of VMware Horizon View Server or VMware vCenter Server VMComposer not to change SCSI controller type to BusLogic Parallel but to recompose VM with SCSI controller type LSI Logic Parallel.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
preed
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I am experiencing the same problem with a different customer.  Our version of View is 6.1.1 and our vSphere is 6.0 GA.  I have not yet found a solution to it.  I would like to be included on this thread if anyone has any further information as to what causes this recompose error.

0 Kudos
preed
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

We discovered that this is what happens when the desktop gold master gets created with a virtual IDE controller, rather than a virtual LSI Logic controller.  In our case, it was the result of a poor P2V conversion of the customer's desktop gold master.  When this is the case, it can be difficult to convert the controller to type to LSI Logic for the system drive of the virtual desktops.  DO NOT attempt the steps in KB1016192 as this will render the desktop image unbootable.  We are in the process of running the gold master through VMware Converter and changing the disk controller type that way.

0 Kudos