VMware Horizon Community
aa25
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Horizon Client 5.5.2 Installation Failed - MSI Error 1603

Hello All! I'm having an issue installing VMware Horizon Client 5.5.2 on my computer. This also fails when trying to upgrade from 5.5.1 to 5.5.2.

I first tried the upgrade but got an Install Failed error, which then rolled back the change and ended up deleting VMware from my computer.

So I downloaded the 5.5.2 installer and ran that, same thing.
Uninstalled the 2 .Net frameworks it installed. Ensured VMware wasn't listed anymore in Control Panel and rebooted.

Used this command to install it again: 

VMware-Horizon-Client-5.5.2-18035009.exe /silent /norestart /log log.txt

From that log.txt file, the Exit code is 0x80070643, which is an MSI error from what I've found online.
Checking Event Viewer I see this:

Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: VMware Horizon Client. Product Version: 5.5.2.19778. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: VMware, Inc.. Installation success or error status: 1603.

MSI code 1603 is just fatal error. From here I am unsure. Following MS's KB on it, I verified the product was uninstalled, destination is not an encrypted folder, I am installing to the main SSD, same as Windows is on, and SYSTEM has full access to this directory.
I did right click the installer and hit Run as Admin as well so that's not it. The Command Prompt I used was an admin one as well.

I attached the two log files here.

Can you help determine what's going wrong?

Let me know if you need anymore information here.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
fabio1975
Commander
Commander

Ciao 

Have you tried to disable any antivirus SW on the client?

In the past, I have had a similar problem because the installation tries to write an entry in the HOSTS file.

The entry that installation try to insert in the file host is 

127.0.0.1 view-localhost # view localhost server

Fabio

Visit vmvirtual.blog
If you're satisfied give me a kudos

0 Kudos
aa25
Contributor
Contributor

Just tried that to verify and see the same behavior.

This has worked with previous versions of VMware as well, so I don't think the anti-virus is blocking it.

0 Kudos