VMware Horizon Community
Fexsun
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware Horizon 8 Enterprise

Hello everyone
I have two questions.

1. I want buy license for "VMware Horizon 8 Enterprise" product.
But I don't know how's that gonna look.
When I buy Horizon 8 Enterprise license, Will I get one summary license key (for each contained software in Horizon, eg. vSphere/ESXi, vCenter, vSAN)? If not, Can I get license for each product separately ?

2. The mentioned above Horizon 8 Enterprise is selling as 10 CCU (concurrent user) license. What is mean for me?
- Is 10 CCU license linked with each Horizon components (vSphere/ESXi, vCenter, vSAN)?
- If it's true how it works? For example, with this 10 CCU license I can install it on 10 physcical ESXi host? If not.. Is it that mean I can use 10 CCU on any number of ESXi physicall host, but I can install only 10 virtual machine in vSphere/ESXi platform? How it's look with vSAN, vCenter, and Horizon?

I'm asking these questions because I lot of afraid, that I can buy incorrent number of Horizon 8 Enterprise for my enviroment.
Finally, my VMware configuration is: 3 network independent clusters (for each cluster, 2 physicall servers). Each cluster have 6 virtual-machines servers (eg. DNS, Active Directory, etc.), 3 vmware virtual-machines (vCenter, Horizon Connection Server, Witness for vSAN) and 8 clients virtual-machines creating by Horizon Connection Server.

Please help me because my sell assistant can't explain it.
Regards

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
fabio1975
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Ciao 

Answer your questions:

1 - You will find the necessary licenses for vCenter, ESXi and to activate the vSAN (You will have the licenses that correspond to the horizon product version purchased, standard etc... for example the vSan is not always included)
If you buy the new universal licenses you will need to activate the cloud connector server to validate your license and download your licenses from the cloud portal
https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Horizon-Cloud-Service/services/hzncloudmsazure.admin15/GUID-7B764C...

2 - You will be able to install as many ESXi servers as you can server for your infrastructure. The only constraint on these ESXi you can only run the VMs for your VDI infrastructure
(i.e. all windows clients for the VDI and servers for the connection server part etc)
You will also be able to have 20 windows 10 or windows 11, the constraint that there can only be 10 concurrent horizon sessions.

Reading:
Q. I can run other server workloads on vSphere
component included in Horizon Editions?
A. Horizon vSphere and VMware vCenter® components are
limited to desktop infrastructure. Components that make up
Horizon VDI includes VMware View® Manager™, VMware
vCenter® Servers
and any desktop management, performance
monitoring and automation tools used solely for hosting
desktop virtual machines for RDS hosts.

https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/products/horizon/vmw-horizon-faqs....

If you want to be in compliance with the licenses, your Domain controller servers and DNS servers cannot be run on ESXi Hosts licensed with Horizon licenses

Fabio

Visit vmvirtual.blog
If you're satisfied give me a kudos

View solution in original post

1 Reply
fabio1975
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Ciao 

Answer your questions:

1 - You will find the necessary licenses for vCenter, ESXi and to activate the vSAN (You will have the licenses that correspond to the horizon product version purchased, standard etc... for example the vSan is not always included)
If you buy the new universal licenses you will need to activate the cloud connector server to validate your license and download your licenses from the cloud portal
https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Horizon-Cloud-Service/services/hzncloudmsazure.admin15/GUID-7B764C...

2 - You will be able to install as many ESXi servers as you can server for your infrastructure. The only constraint on these ESXi you can only run the VMs for your VDI infrastructure
(i.e. all windows clients for the VDI and servers for the connection server part etc)
You will also be able to have 20 windows 10 or windows 11, the constraint that there can only be 10 concurrent horizon sessions.

Reading:
Q. I can run other server workloads on vSphere
component included in Horizon Editions?
A. Horizon vSphere and VMware vCenter® components are
limited to desktop infrastructure. Components that make up
Horizon VDI includes VMware View® Manager™, VMware
vCenter® Servers
and any desktop management, performance
monitoring and automation tools used solely for hosting
desktop virtual machines for RDS hosts.

https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/products/horizon/vmw-horizon-faqs....

If you want to be in compliance with the licenses, your Domain controller servers and DNS servers cannot be run on ESXi Hosts licensed with Horizon licenses

Fabio

Visit vmvirtual.blog
If you're satisfied give me a kudos