VMware Horizon Community
ChristophR
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Horizon 8 (2103) instant clone with static MAC-Addresses?

Hi @all,

is there any chance / way to configure static mac-addresses for instant clones?

In the environment where we want to configure the instant clone feature, the dhcp servers are configured with static mac addreses.

This means IP 192.168.200.1 has mac-address aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:01
This means IP 192.168.200.2 has mac-address aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:24
This means IP 192.168.200.3 has mac-address aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:13

Only those mac-adresses get the ip addresses. (no dynamic dhcp possible atm)

So is there a solution for this static environment to get instant clone running?

Would be nice if you could help me 🙂

Best regards

Chris

0 Kudos
3 Replies
toannn
Contributor
Contributor

I would like to know this as well

0 Kudos
nburton935
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

MAC address persistence started with 7.12, but I do not believe there is a way to pre-configure them. The easiest way would be to spin up all of your instant clones in an "open" DHCP environment and reserve them afterward.

Keep in mind that the template, replica, and parent VMs are all random MACs. The templates and replicas will need to successfully grab an address each push. Without the ability for these random MACs to get a DHCP address, you will never be able to successfully push an image to an IC pool. 

-Nick

0 Kudos
christophherde1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Sorry to open this up after quite some time. We're working with 2111 and I just blew up an RDS-Farm from 2 to 4 hosts. Then I reserved their MACs and set the number of hosts to 1, which made Horizon delete the 3 Instant Clones. When I set 4 again on the farm, the newly provisioned clones had new MAC addresses.

What now? How to configure this "persistence"?

-Chris

0 Kudos