VMware Horizon Community
Sascha73de
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware Horizon 7 View Agent (Version: 7.5.0) can't register with Connection Server

Hi community,

I'm new with VMware Horizion View and I got an question about the registration of a RDSH server with my Connection Server. Maybe someone of you could help with my evaluation - would be great Smiley Happy

The following environment I got:

Connection Server

Runs as a virtual server on Hyper-V with server OS = Server 2016 Standard EN.

RDSH Server

Runs as a virtual server on Hyper-V with server OS = Server 2016 Standard EN with all latest windows updates until today.

Problem

If I start the VMware Horizon View Agent installer (VMware-viewagent-x86_64-7.5.0-8584427.exe) on my RDSH host by clicking on the .exe file, I never get the option to add my connection server address to register the RDSH server with my Connection Server during the installation. Then I started the installer with the following options, but never be successful - never saw that machine appearing under Registered Machines within the VMware Horizon Administration interface, but address, admin and password are 100% correct and the server is also reachable with ping:

C:\Transfer\VMware-viewagent-x86_64-7.5.0-8584427.exe /v"VDM_VC_MANAGED_AGENT=0"

C:\Transfer\VMware-viewagent-x86_64-7.5.0-8584427.exe /s /v"/qn VDM_VC_MANAGED_AGENT=0 VDM_SERVER_NAME=clhbsv01.cloud.go2mynet.com"

C:\Transfer\VMware-viewagent-x86_64-7.5.0-8584427.exe /s /v"/qn VDM_VC_MANAGED_AGENT=0 VDM_SERVER_NAME=clhbsv01.cloud.go2mynet.com VDM_SERVER_USERNAME=DOMAIN\Administrator VDM_SERVER_PASSWORD=admin_password"

Checking the Eventlog I saw that issue appearing:

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID

{8D8F4F83-3594-4F07-8369-FC3C3CAE4919}

and APPID

{F72671A9-012C-4725-9D2F-2A4D32D65169}

to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

Which could be related, but I couldn't find anything via Google Search.

I also tried to upgrade to the latest 7.5.1 View Agent, but can't because my evaluation profile / license does not allow me to download that newer agent.

ANY KIND OF HELP MUCH APPRICATED!!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Sascha73de
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for your feedback so fare techguy129. It turned out that the issue is the hypervisor I was using.

Looks like RDSH on Server 2016 / 2012 R2 / 2008 R2 are not supported for View agent if they are virtualized with Microsoft Hyper-V.

When installing a RDSH role on Server 2016 with VMware Workstation or Fusion works perfectly with View agent installation / registration step.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
techguy129
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You may be missing a component outside if just the RDSH service. Like the Remote Desktop Licensing Diagnoser Tools.

I would uninstall and install the RD Session Host components again.

Here is a nice guide on the steps:

VMware Horizon 7.4 – Master RDS Host – Carl Stalhood

Install Remote Desktop Services on Windows Server 2012 or 2012 R2

The agent msi installer checks the TerminalServer property which is a private property of the Windows installer service. I believe you need at least one remoteadmin tool installed to trigger the property value to true.

TerminalServer property (Windows)

0 Kudos
Sascha73de
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for your feedback so fare techguy129. It turned out that the issue is the hypervisor I was using.

Looks like RDSH on Server 2016 / 2012 R2 / 2008 R2 are not supported for View agent if they are virtualized with Microsoft Hyper-V.

When installing a RDSH role on Server 2016 with VMware Workstation or Fusion works perfectly with View agent installation / registration step.

0 Kudos