VMware Horizon Community
Lieven
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

VMware Horizon 6.1 and Microsoft One drive for Business Sync

One of my clients requires to have Onedrive for Business in a View environment with linked clones. I read about the Onedrive for Business sync client and apparently you can not specify/change the location of the download location.

The customer demands that the Onedrive for Business client is installed and will sync/download the content from Onedrive, but in a linked clone environment this might mean that the sync client will download all content of Onedrive each time a user logs on to a dekstop, which we obviously do not want.

I told the customer that he potentially will have to store 1 TB of data per user in his datacenter, meaning he will need a lot of SAN space, but the customer does not care about this.

Does anybody have any experience with the Onedrive for business sync client in a Linked clone View environment and how to best set this up?

14 Replies
Jbir
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm afraid I don't really have any advice but i am interested in replies you get to this.

We have linked clones and are starting to look at using OneDrive for business. We only have a handful of IT users using it at the moment and we have not installed the sync client on the linked clones. We do have Office 365 too so we are hoping to make users connect to their OneDrives online and use o365 to open and edit docs. However, currently we are only really using our View dekstops for remote access, but once we start to roll out desktop replacements i'm not sure if his would work. Obviously do not want to download full OneDrive on every log in.

Are there any GPOs to change the file locations?

0 Kudos
Lieven
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

To my knowledge Onedrive for Business does not have any GPOs to change file locations

0 Kudos
Lieven
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Did anybody already work with OneDriveMapper (http://www.lieben.nu/liebensraum/onedrivemapper/) or Zee Drive for Office 365 ( Map OneDrive for Business as a Network Drive - Reliably)

0 Kudos
bjohn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Were you able to implement one drive in a non-persistent environment.

0 Kudos
TDJB3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We installed O365 2013 in a non-persistent environment.  We see in our testing that files are disappearing.  One of the testers will load some dummy files to OneDrive.  They log off the machine and reconnect to another machine in the pool.  When they do, the files placed in OneDrive are gone.

We would like to disable OneDrive for the people who will be using this pool.

0 Kudos
bjohn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Anyone else have any suggestions on OneDrive and Horizon? Is there a group policy that will prevent the user from launching OneDrive?

0 Kudos
Daniel_1000
Contributor
Contributor

So far it seems to only possible ways forward is to either use Citrix Sharefile with terrific One drive integration and on-line file handling.

The other way is to use FSLogix as profile container. Maybe VMWares profile handling will handle o365 as well.

0 Kudos
TDJB3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just looked at those products and that's some serious money.  I can't see my company buying either of those products.

0 Kudos
Sravan_k
Expert
Expert

Use optimization tool and select one drive option before you optimize your image

0 Kudos
Sravan_k
Expert
Expert

I recommend not to use one drive client but if you want still users can access one drive from browser 

0 Kudos
beutlern
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just bringing this up here.

If you use Win10 1709 for your linked clones you can have onedrive added with a new feature called "only cache file if user double clicks it".

You will see all files but dont have to sync them. We are using this even for our full full-clone environment. Its a lot safer in regards of storage.

scoop
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm running onedrive using writable volumes and it seems to be working OK. The writable volume must be given a drive letter though (it's hidden from user)

0 Kudos
VMvvol
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Scoop,

we are trying to configure one drive and I can not able to make it work for multiple users, meaning when I launch one drive on parent image, I can able use it but when I create VDI pool using the same image my users are not able to launch it on there VDI's

Do I know is there any steps that I missed during configuring one drive on parent image? generally I installed one drive as administrator on parent image and took snapshot and used it while creating VDI pool

Thank you,

Volga.

0 Kudos
scoop
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The problem is, OneDrive is installed per user.

I'm also using UEM, so what I do is use a login script to install onedrive from a network share when the user logs in for the first time. This still requires the user to run it and configure it.