VMware Horizon Community
Jubish-Jose
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

VMware Blast Codec Multi-threaded Encoding

Anyone has tried VMware Blast Codec Multi-threaded Encoding setting?

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Horizon/2209/horizon-remote-desktop-features/GUID-4256AF69-C81E-4E... 

We have the compatible agent and client versions,  but is there a way to verify whether this is working? The documentation seems to be a bit confusing.

-- If you find this reply helpful, please consider accepting it as a solution.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
TheSica
Contributor
Contributor

I am hoping to see comments on this to know if there is a noticeable performance difference when turning this on. 

0 Kudos
TomH201110141
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can try running a CPU benchmark and look on the host with esxtop and in task manager if all CPUs are used.

0 Kudos
TheSica
Contributor
Contributor

Before building out a testing environment for it, I'm curious if anyone on this group has done it and provide any feedback.  Great idea though for checking it.

0 Kudos
jmacdaddy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

A client brought this feature to my attention and after reading the documentation, I must say I have no idea how to implement it.

First, it says that if the client and agent versions are the correct versions (2206+), then it will be automatically enabled by default.

But then it says there is a registry key that's needed.  So is it automatic or is it not automatic??  

Also, you aren't told where to apply the registry key.  The endpoint machine or the virtual desktop.  Or both.  No idea.  I guess since the document was just talking about the Windows and Linux clients, you could assume that they mean for you to put it on the endpoint, but that's just a guess.

They really need to clean that document up.

0 Kudos
TomH201110141
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The registry keys need to be applied in the OU of your instant clones or in the golden image. It can be done with a policy (download the corresponding ADMX/ADML (policy files) from Customer Connect and apply them in your domain controller or you apply them with the help of DEM (what I did). 

I think, if applied in your instant clones and you have the appropriate version of agent and client, yes it will be automatically activated. 
But a proof I still don’t have. It would be great if it can be seen e.g. in Horizon Performance Tracker. 

Maybe someone knows how to validate if it’s activated?

0 Kudos