VMware Horizon Community
IanVentura
Contributor
Contributor

VMtools and View Agent

Hi All,

I'm new to this community and not sure if this is the right section to post my concern. We are using VMware View for our remote users and last week I noticed on our vCenter that vdi desktops  are  giving a warning sign that VMware tools is running out of date.

I Upgraded the VMtools installed on the base image for the pool from version 8.6.5 build-621624 to version 8.6.10 and take a snapshot and initiate a recompose. After  recomposing the pool with the upgraded VMtools snapshot. I let the users try to connect but I found an issue, Remote sessions using PCOIP seems to be stuck and connection suddenly drops giving out an error "the connection to the remote computer ended". Connection works fine with RDP. So I ended up reverting the changes. So my questions are: Is their a compatibility issue with VMTools 8.6.10 and view 5.0.0. Does upgrading my VMtools also upgrade my view agent?

Thanks in Advance for any response.

all the best!

Ian

0 Kudos
6 Replies
nzorn
Expert
Expert

Not for sure if it will fix your problem, but it's always recommended to install the View Agent after VM Tools.

Another thing they noted was to wait to reboot after installation until all device drivers install.

0 Kudos
IanVentura
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for sharing nzorn. What I did was click on the base image used by our pool in Vcenter  right click on that machine-->select guest-->Install/Upgrade Vmware Tools and waited until it reboot.I took a snapshot and initiate a recompose from view admin. Did I miss something on the process? or did I screw it up? :smileysilly:

Thaks,

Ian

0 Kudos
jeytntechedu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ian,

Part of nzorn's reply above is suggesting that after you upgrade vmware tools, you reinstall the View Agent (in keeping with recomended practice, even if it is the same version of the View agent you had previously), before you take your snapshot.

Jeremy Ey

0 Kudos
IanVentura
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Jeremy,

Thank you for posting that clarification. I want to give it a shot now, I was kinda lost on the process now. I already have the snapshot for the Upgraded VMTools on my base image. Please point me to the right direction if I am wrong.

What I need to do at this point is to power on that machine and Uninstall the View agent then Reinstall it. Take a snapshot and initiate a recompose? are these steps correct?

Thanks in Advance

0 Kudos
jeytntechedu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ian,

I'm not sure you'll actually need to uninstall the View agent so much as just reinstall over top of what you have. The View Admin guide seems to point in this direction too, simply has install steps (vmtools followed by view agent), no uninstall steps. The rest of your steps sound correct; however, I'm not a composer user, so I can't offer any additional insight into what would be most likely to result in success.

Jeremy Ey

0 Kudos
IanVentura
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All,

Thanks for your time on sharing your ideas. It seems that my installation of VMtolls override my PCOIP setting.I just need to re-install the tools on custom mode and deselect what is not needed.

Thanks,

Lorenze

0 Kudos