VMware Horizon Community
Brownestone
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMs through VDM have windows key stuck

Just wondering if anyone else is having a similar problem. With VMs being connected with through VDM the odd time it seems as if the windows key is stuck. Basically if you type 'd' on the VM it will present the desktop and so on with other keys. This happened before but I left it as a glitch, however it happened twice today so I can't ignore it now! I'm not sure if I connect directly to the VM when it acts like this if it will work properly, didn't try that but I will if it happens again.

If anyone has seen this any solutions?! At the moment I only fix it with a reboot.

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mg123
Contributor
Contributor

I was able to find out the following

I can reproduce the problem by connecting to a vm, making sure that the vm window has focus then pressing the Windows key + L. This will lock the physical PC but when you unlock it the vm will act as if the Window Key is pressed (e opens explorer r opens run).

details the issue and provides a hot fix for Vista. There is no specific hotfix for this issue for XP however contains the updated Mstscax.dll file which is required on the XP box. On XP with RDP6.0 if you have an older version than 6.0.6000.20663 then applying 941603 will fix the issue. I've tested it on 2 devices so far.I hope this helps.

0 Kudos
swiftangelus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

I have also just seen this issue where the VDM box was windows xp sp3. The KB articles mentioned above suggest that the hoftix is not required for windows xp sp3 machines. This is not true. The dll version is not updated in the sp3 install. I had to rename, manually copy and register the dll from the hotfix.

Also did you do install this on the VDM or the client PC or both?

I am pending the results of the client machine which i will repost for future reference.

0 Kudos
grossag
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

We are looking into this issue. I have seen this on XP SP2 machines but have never seen it on XP SP3, so let you know if this is not the case. It is a result of us using a non-default KeyboardHookMode ( http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa381299(VS.85).aspx ) in the Microsoft RDP ActiveX control and there being a bug in Microsoft's implementation of it. We are looking at a few possible fixes right now.

0 Kudos
kcighon
Contributor
Contributor

We have a similar issue on Windows 2003/Citrix PS4.5. We have recently stopped the vmwareuser.exe from running for all users as, in theory, the users should not require the clipboard benefits when connecting to the published desktop. Since this change, there appears to have been an increase in this occurring... is there a connection?

0 Kudos