VMware Horizon Community
vmsf
Contributor
Contributor

VMs keep powering on?

I have a pool of 100 VMs and I want to shutdown 50. I am using ecoshell to shutdown the machines in one action.

All of them shutdown - 40 of them stay down but 10 keep powering back on. Its the same pool with the same policy of "Do Nothing".

Does anyone have any idea what's happening?

Thx,

-vmsf

Tags (1)
10 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Maybe it's something under the advanced settings located under provisioning where a certain amount of machines have to be available at all times.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

vmsf
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks mittim.

No there is no specific setting under Advanced.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Even though it wasn't checked what was the number assigned to available? Is this a persistent or non persistent pool? Do the VM's still power back online if you have the pool disabled?

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
vmsf
Contributor
Contributor

The number assigned to available is 20.

It is a non-persistent pool.

Its a production pool - cannot disable.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

So just curious but once you shut all the VM's down and the 10 or so power back on how many VM's do you have running that aren't in use. The only reason I ask is that in some of my smaller pools I have tested and my available VM's always equal to what's under advanced settings even though i don't have advanced settings checked. For instance in my 20 VM pool the number listed under available is 4. I have my pool set to power down VM's when not in use. I have 5 users connected and 9 VM's powered on so that 4 are available. If another user connects then a VM is powered back on to equal 4 available VM's. Likewise if I shut one down another one is powered back so that there are always 4 available.

0 Kudos
vmsf
Contributor
Contributor

when I shutdown the 50 - none of them is supposed to be in use.

As far as the Advanced setting is concerned it shouldn't be factor if I am not using it - correct?

Here is the defintion of Number of available virtual machines from the admin guide:

Number of available virtual machines—The number of

virtual machines that must be unassigned and available for

use at any given time. This figure cannot exceed the

maximum number of desktops available to the pool

overall.

Right now it is set to 20 which is about the number of machines which is being powered on - what if I change this setting to 0?

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Well from my testing it seems that the available number listed is always used unless you check the box and specify a different one. It you go through and change your number of VM's in your pool then that number under the advanced section will change to reflect a new number of available machines. It will not let you select 0 as a number but in theory if you set it to 1 then it would only power up 1 machine more than what's currently in use for the pool. With in use meaning machines that are in a current connected or disconnected state.

0 Kudos
vmsf
Contributor
Contributor

So this is what I did:

1. Check the Advanced Settings check mark

2. Changed the Advanced Settings by changing available desktops to 1

3. Leave the Advanced Settings checked (if you change to 1 and then uncheck the advanced setting again, it switches back to 20)

4. Clicked on Finish to save the setting

5. Shutdown the desktops again

6. The desktops stay shutdown

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Glad that worked for you. Don't forget to assign points if you found anything helpful

0 Kudos
Ratage
Contributor
Contributor

Sometimes it's the simple things that get me.  I had the same problem with VM's powering up when i wanted them down.  Thank you!

0 Kudos