VMware Horizon Community
lynhan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMWare view 7 Desktop is not working

Hello,

We are running Horizon View 6 for a while now.  At first everything is fine, but lately we have alot of complain from users that after they logon to VM View desktop it appear to hung up.  They can't open Internet Explorer, Word, and other other application.  The workaround provided to us was to rename user VDI profile and that will resolve VDI desktop issue.

The workaround was working for awhile, and lately we have new problem with our VMWare View.

when user call and report their VDI desktop is not working, we rename their profile, that didn't solve the problem until we reboot the server that host the VDI profile.

Can anyone tell me how to troubleshoot this issue?

Thanks in advance

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mougT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

View Persona works a bit different from ordinary roaming profiles. As roaming profiles are copied onto your machine during the logon process, View Persona copies the files when they are requested. So my thought was that if the files are locked on the file server, the program needing the files (for instance Internet Explorer) wont be able to read those files, and therefor "hang". Not sure if this is your problem of course, just a thought Smiley Happy

Is your antivirus set to "scan on access" or "scan on modified" (or similar settings Smiley Happy) for these files? And do you also have an antivirus software on your vm's scanning the same files?

If you have "scan on access", try change to "scan on modified" instead if you can.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
mougT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If the problem is resolved by booting your profile server, maybe the problem is there? Do you have an antivirus software on that server that locks the files for example? Is there any errors in the vm's eventlog?

0 Kudos
lynhan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We also have our "My documents" folder and "Desktop" redirect to the same server as the VMware View VDI profile, and we have no problem with accessing our desktop and my documents folder, so I thought there is no problem on that server.  CPU and Memory usage is normal, there is no logs error pertain to the VDI profile folder in the event logs.

I thought there may be a sync error of users VDI profile when they logon, but I don't know how to troubleshoot this problem.

0 Kudos
mougT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Do you use View Persona? And do you have any antivirus or other software that could potentially lock your files on the profile server?

0 Kudos
lynhan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, we use View persona, and we have antivirus on the profile server.  Can you explain how antivirus lock files on VDI profile and not our roaming profiles?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
mougT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

View Persona works a bit different from ordinary roaming profiles. As roaming profiles are copied onto your machine during the logon process, View Persona copies the files when they are requested. So my thought was that if the files are locked on the file server, the program needing the files (for instance Internet Explorer) wont be able to read those files, and therefor "hang". Not sure if this is your problem of course, just a thought Smiley Happy

Is your antivirus set to "scan on access" or "scan on modified" (or similar settings Smiley Happy) for these files? And do you also have an antivirus software on your vm's scanning the same files?

If you have "scan on access", try change to "scan on modified" instead if you can.

lynhan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for the explaination.  I will try that and hopfully it will resolve our problem with VDI profile.

0 Kudos