VMware Horizon Community
schmidtl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMWare View without Active Directory

Hey folks,

I have a Setup where View should be implemented, but there's no Active Directory in Place.

Instead all Windows Stuff libes in a Samba3 Domain, connected to an LDAP. Has anyone here ever seen getting this to work?

Idea1 is to establis a dummy AD Server and try to fill it with some creepy scripting stuff from the LDAP (shat stays productive) und use the 'real' Active Directory just for View.

Idea2 seems a bit more sophisticated, yet I've never seen it in Production: Build up a dummy ActiveDirectory and establis mutual trust to the Samba Doman (could this be working)

Any other Ideas? What about Smaba4? How much of ActiveDirectory is realy required for View?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
julienvarela
Commander
Commander

hi,

VMware view is only compatible with Microsoft Active directory. So i have never used something else.

You can found more information here : VMware View 5.0 Documentation Center

Regards,

Julien.

Regards, J.Varela http://vthink.fr
0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

You could use the View Direct Connect Agent, then you do not need any View Connection broker or AD, just use local login to the desktops.

Of course you will need to create and configure the virtual machines manually or with a script.

Using View Agent Direct-Connection in VMware Horizon View 5.3 | VMware End-User Computing Blog - VMw...

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
eddyccl
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Linjo,

Sorry for bringing up the old thread. But I have one question regarding direct connect plugin. I'm having an environment without active directory so I've installed Direct Connect plugin in order to access to hosted app.

So far it works great but I can't find a place to apply my Horizon View License Key. Typically the license key is applied at View Administrator portal which is the connection server but in this case I could not setup Connection server because it requires the server to join an Active Directory.

I'm a bit worry that now that am I running a trial version? Or there is a place I can apply my license key.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

So if you only using Direct Connect their is no way to put any license key, then I guess VMware is using the "honor system" aka there is no license check of enforcement but its up to you to make sure that you have to correct licensing.

There is a always the possibility that VMware will make an audit to make sure that you are licensed correctly.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
markbenson
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You are not running a trial version. It is downloaded as part of the official GA Horizon Components. As Linjo says, we trust you 🙂 You need to have a Horizon View license to use View Agent Direct-Connection (VADC) but the license key doesn't need to be entered anywhere. You can use any mix of VADC and Connection Server brokered sessions with the license.

Mark  

0 Kudos
eddyccl
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Mark and Linjo,

Yes we've already bought the license. And we are going to implement active directory this year so we will switch to the Connection server setup.

Thanks for clearing my doubts!

Eddy

0 Kudos