VMware Horizon Community
Gtunney
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Horizon View Install - No reboot - MDT

Hi All,

We currently use VMware Horizon View Client on all our laptops to allow users to connect to our VDI environment. Our laptops are running Windows 10.

As part of our Image deployment using Microsoft Deployment Toolkit Horizon Client is installed.

During the Horizon Client install Horizon client forces the machine to reboot causing a dirty deployment message once the machine has started back up again.

I have seen several different topics on this subject but none of the solutions we have tried work. Here is what i have tried;

1. Installing Horizon View Client with the /norestart switch.

2. Creating a script to install all the dependencies ( Visual C++) before Horizon client, also with the /norestart switch.

3. Add all the dependencies into MDT as applications and list them under Horizon Client as required. All still have the /norestart switch.

If I run any scripts manually the machine does not reboot but for some reason it still reboots when the script is ran via MDT. None of the applications in MDT have the (restart required) ticked.

I also kept refreshing the Programs and Features during installation. All of the Visual C++ install fine, Horizon View client also shows up in the programs list but the machine is then force rebooted. After restarting Horizon View is no longer in the programs list and only re-appears after MDT resumes the install.

I'm at a total loss as to why it keeps doing this when all applications and dependencies have the norestart switch.

Would really appreciate any help on the issue and if anybody has managed to deploy via MDT.

Thanks

7 Replies
jrodsguitar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As a test, if you don't install the Horizon client with MDT does it still reboot? I'm thinking something other than the Horizon client is forcing the reboot, maybe one of  the tasks in MDT?

Blog: https://powershell.house/
0 Kudos
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

This works for us using SCCM (Either during imaging of the machine or a software upgrade). We first install the dependencies (Visual C++) and then install the Horizon Client.

0 Kudos
jrodsguitar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you tried it this way?

VMware-Horizon-Client.exe /S /V"/qn REBOOT=Reallysuppress"

Blog: https://powershell.house/
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Which version of Horizon Client are you using. With Horizon Client 4.5 VMware switched from "REBOOT=Reallysuppress" to "/norestart".

This is working for us.

C:\Windows\Temp\VMware-Horizon-Client-4.7.0-7395453.exe /silent /norestart /log "C:\Windows\Temp\VMware-Horizon-Client-4.7.0-7395453.log ADDLOCAL=TSSO INSTALL_SFB=0 INSTALL_HTML5MMR=0 REMOVE=Scanner,FolderRedirection,SerialPort AUTO_UPDATE_ENABLED=0

Gtunney
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All,

Just to give you an update on this, it looks like I've managed to resolve the issue.

Somewhere between testing the scripts locally and then adding into MDT the source files for c++ got mixed up.

Turns out I actually added 14.24123 instead of 14.24212 so VMware wasn't picking up the correct C++ as already installed then installing over the top and causing the machine to reboot.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

RichS907
Contributor
Contributor

May I ask how you set this up in MDT?  Specifically your deployment tasks structure and how you layed out your install switches?  For me, I'm trying MDT 8450 using Windows 10 Build 1803 or LTSB and I've created the following tasks as so,

1.  Install C++ 2008sp1 redistributable

2.  Restart computer

3.  Install VMWare Horizon View Client.

The Horizon View client version is 4.8.0-8547331 and I've tried variations of the two following switches

/silent /norestart VDM_IP_PROTOCOL_USAGE=IPv4 VDM_SERVER=server.domain.com LOGINASCURRENTUSER_DISPLAY=1 LOGINASCURRENTUSER_DEFAULT=0 ADDLOCAL=TSSO,USB

and

/S /V"/qn DESKTOP_SHORTCUT=1 VDM_SERVER=vdi.labor.ak RDPCHOICE=0 REBOOT=Reallysuppress"

and both appear to be installing the C++ and the Horizon View Client but somewhere along the way it fails.  No install directory created or any other error.  I was hoping to see what switches and processes worked for you?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
barzzin
Contributor
Contributor

tanks a lot it works for me, by adding /V"/qn REBOOT=Reallysuppress" to the script and run it as the line below windows restart no more:

VMware-Horizon-Agent-x86_64-2306-8.10.0-22012512.exe" /S /V"/qn REBOOT=Reallysuppress" /l "d:\log.txt"

0 Kudos