VMware Horizon Community
dougalw
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Horizon Mac can't access microphone

Hi, I have VMWare Horizon running on a new M1 MacBook Pro 16inch. Horizon never asks for access to the microphone.

This is weird because I have an older 2018 Intel MacBook Pro and it works fine on that machine.

Any suggestions anyone? It's driving me nuts, and the Intel Mac needs to go in for a battery service asap but I still need to use Horizon.

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
ofox
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hard to say what caused the difference between M1 and Intel MBP. Besides the access prompt missing does M1 mic work okay with Horizon client? If not you might provide logs to diagnose further. I'd suggest you to contact your VMware support.

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2089943

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/86349

0 Kudos
dougalw
Contributor
Contributor

thx @ofox , Horizon does not work with the Mic, but when I checked the logs it looks like RTAV does see the microphone - log file below is from install of Horizon.

Any suggestions?

I don't have a support contract because I'm a contractor using Horizon provided by the organisation I'm temporarily contracted to.

0 Kudos
Caixia
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi dougalw,

Do you mean that Horizon do not request "Microphone access"?  Please refer the attached screen shot and check if horizon is in the list.

Try reset microphone access, run this command in terminal before running horizon.

tccutil reset Microphone com.vmware.horizon

If problem persists, Please collect rtav logs when using microphone in horizon(such as have a call). Logs when microphone is using will help. Thanks.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

@Caixia moderator note: If your post ends up in the spam queue like yours did then it is best to use the report button. A moderator will then release your post. Reposting 5x doesn't really help.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
ofox
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Interestingly, I'm seeing only one single post from Caixia. Perhaps it's been already a result of admin filtering?

0 Kudos
dougalw
Contributor
Contributor

@Caixiathanks for that. Yes, I meant that it is not requesting 'Microphone access'. Horizon is not on the list.

I ran the reset command and started Horizon but it didn't change the Microphone permission.

I'll try collecting the logs shortly.

0 Kudos
dougalw
Contributor
Contributor

@Caixia I think I've solved it now.

Previous behaviour on my Intel Mac was that as soon as I installed Horizon it asked for both Camera and Microphone access.

On my M1 Mac however it has never asked for Microphone access when I installed Horizon.

Just now I logged on to the company image, started a meeting in MS Teams (inside the Horizon Windows image), then turned on the Microphone. Only then did Horizon ask for microphone access in OSX.

This behaviour seems inconsistent as I have previously done this on my M1 and Horizon didn't ask for Microphone access.

I will test this further soon, by having a conversation with someone to verify the Microphone is actually working.

0 Kudos
Caixia
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Great News.

"Microphone/Camera" access should be requested only when it is actually used. Just like other Apple apps, like zoom.

For Horizon, USB need administrator access, it will request access once horizon installed.

0 Kudos
Caixia
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks wila, I tried first three times and then thought community may belong my attachment to virus. So tried rename attachment and then tried with no attachment. so 5x tries. Good to know that we have report function.