VMware Horizon Community
ebelange
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMWare Horizon Client won't launch

I have the Horizon Client version 3.3 installed on my Windows 8.1 computer. We use roaming profiles and folder redirection. Everything was working find up until last week the client stop working. If I click on the icon to launch the client, nothing happens. I see a task for VMware Horizon Client in task manager but the client doesn't open.

I already tried deleting the user profile and starting fresh but same thing happens. The client does work with another user account so the problem is obviously a user related issue.

Has anyone run into this kind of problem?

2 Replies
zootie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Reporting the same problem, seemingly the same behavior. When we start VMWare Horizon Client v3.5.2, we can see it starts a process in task manager(which stays stuck with 18% of CPU usage), but it never displays its UI WIndows. It was working until yesterday. All on Windows 10 x64 1511. It seems it is breaking down as it applies Windows Updates, haven't determined an specific update, but it might be HW specific (since at least one computer remains functional after having all updates installed).

If we run it with a local admin user, it does start the UI (and quickly lowers it CPU usage) - we just have to kill any other instances that were stuck running w/o a UI before starting it as an admin.

We tried uninstalling/reinstalling VMWare Horizon Client, no difference.

We're using folder redirection, but we are not using roaming profiles. We haven't tried to delete profiles yet (and have worked really hard configuring applications to avoid making all users local administrators, so don't really want to do that - specially given that it had been working for ~2 months since we rebuilt these computers using Win 10 x64).

0 Kudos
zootie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In our case, it seems that the problem was transient errors synchronizing redirected folders. Most resolved on their own.

For one users, it needed manual intervention to resolve conflicts under <RedirectedUserFolder>\Application Data\VMware\ (specifically, including preferences.ini.lck).

We figured it out by looking in the logs stored in C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\VMware\VDM\logs , comparing the log with a user profile that was working. In this case, it would stop logging before logging "Icon cache root dir will be" (seemingly indicating that it couldn't set its icon cache folder under <RedirectedUserFolder>\Application Data\VMware\).