VMware Horizon Community
smiler1
Contributor
Contributor

VMWARE View 4.6

Hi All

Im trying to find some info on View 4.6, there seems to be very little about. Ive been told that this release will include the isochronous support to allow devices such a USB web cams to work. Does anyone have any information, regarding what 4.6 will include or when it will be available?

Regards

Steve

0 Kudos
31 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Since this has not officially been announced, I doubt you will find any official documentation or statements. The ones who could know anything are under NDA and are not supposed to disclose any information.

André

0 Kudos
samansalehi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As i found there is no information about the next update.

Maybe it's a View 4.6 or maybe 5.

There is not any announcment about the next release of View.

If any further question, i'm really wait to hearing u.

thank u.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

As Andre said there is no information available since the product has yet to be released.  My suggestion is to get in touch with your area VMware rep and request a road map on View.  They may force you to sign a NDA but at least then you could see where the product is heading.

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

mittim12 is right. i wish i could share with you and it is very exising but i have NDA in place. good luck in getting it to know from your local rep.

0 Kudos
Suiname
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

sorry if this is unrelated, but does anyone know if there is a "suggestion box" where I can tell VMware all the things I would like to be in upcoming releases of view?  I really want a web based view client.

0 Kudos
samansalehi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I did not find any suggestion box, but try to contact a reseller and in this situation as other said, you may find some information about the new release of vmware view.

0 Kudos
samansalehi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I did not find any suggestion box, but try to contact a reseller and  in this situation as other said, you may find some information about the  new release of vmware view.

0 Kudos
davesherman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I would suggest the "Products and Feature Suggestions" forum - http://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/general/product

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

also you could join the beta programme and contribute your ideas and etc.

http://communities.vmware.com/community/beta;jsessionid=48EFA904CD69565755933C6D41018100

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

So it seems that some info have been released at Partner Exchange:

http://www.thincomputing.net/2011/02/07/vmware-view-4-6-be-released-on-24-february-2011/

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Our USB redirection has actually supported isochronous devices since VDM 3.X. That does not mean all isochronous devices work or are supported.

Many users find that WebCams will usually work, they have worked for some time actually. Although they do work we do not currently recommend using webcams or directly support webcams today.

You might ask, if they work why are they not supported? We have a lot of work and effort going into this area with several partners. Because of all the change that is happening, what might work today, might not work tomorrow and we need flexibility to change things without disrupting cusotmers.

There are some interesting challenges with WebCams under different uses cases, managing customer expectations and providing proper guidance on what to expect when using them under different use cases. Because of that rather than just saying sure, they work no problem. We really want to get some things in place with partners as well solid information on best practices etc.

Although there is a lot happening here. We do not plan on changing our support policy or guidance in 4.6.

WP

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Just wanted to update the thread with a link to the release notes for 4.6

http://www.vmware.com/support/view46/doc/view-46-release-notes.html

0 Kudos
markbenson
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks mittim12.

I thought I should add a couple more links on View 4.6 and in particular more information on PCoIP Remote Access with Security Server about which I first spoke in December 2010 - see Secure Remote Access with View and PCoIP.

Here are some more details on Setting up PCoIP Remote Access with View 4.6 which also contains a video that describes the setup in a lot more detail.

The View 4.6 Architecture and Planning guide goes into this in quite a bit of detail too. View Documentation

Hope this is useful.

Mark.

0 Kudos
fduranti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Anyone know if and when iPAD view client will be released?

0 Kudos
ZeRoC00L
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Good question, as PCoIP is now directly supported from a Vmware View Security server.....

... the release cannot be long away !

0 Kudos
fduranti
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

In another post someone was saying that it should be out "soon", I was hoping that this "soon" was with the 4.6 release....

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

It needs to get through Apples approval process also before it will be available on Appstore.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
madilall
Contributor
Contributor

Any news about IPAD view client 4.6?? When...soon...????

0 Kudos