VMware Horizon Community
kalamry
Contributor
Contributor

VMWARE Horizon Mirage Support

Hi Everyone, we bought Horizon for Mirage since they announced EOL for Mirage but then continued the bundle with Horizon and now we are confused.

Every where online it says Mirage EOL ?? We have paid lots of money for 100 VDI which in turn gives 100 Mirage

How can we deploy it without support ?? Anyone with successful deployment of Mirage ?

Please share your experience and what Windows 10 x64 build shall we use and what drawback we will have from this so bad upcoming endeavor with foggy product

Thanks.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
dolzhenkom
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We've had Mirage in our environment for about 2 years, and have only ever used it as a mechanism for deploying an OS, not for managing it after the fact. We use the Mirage client to upload an image to the server, add in the drivers our devices might need to the driver library, then perform bare-metal provisioning of PCs over PXE. Once this is done we uninstall the Mirage client off of the imaged PC and remove its CVD from Mirage, which means we ignore all of Mirage's other functionality-- app layers, base layer updates, snapshots, file portal, etc. Even using it in such a minimal capacity, we've run into numerous bugs that we've had to work through ourselves, and are stuck with deploying an older build of Windows 10 (currently 1709, I believe), then performing an in-place upgrade after deployment.

In short, my recommendation would be to avoid building out Mirage. Like you said, it is a dead product, and the possibility is always there that a new patch applied to the reference machine or Mirage server will break it completely and put the final nail in the coffin. VMware recommends looking at Airwatch instead to configure your machines.

0 Kudos
kalamry
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for sharing your experience.

The customer already bought the license and they will not spend money on another backup solution

If we can manage it for a year then it will be perfect

I heard some used 5.6 with build 1803

I am really concerned about VMWARE decision. It is a big loss for them and they will realize that in the future.

Offline is a big challenge and workspace does not give what Mirage does

The beauty would have been if Mirage can replicate to VDI and full integration between them

This means the laptop user will always be able to work offline plus the advantage of reaching to the cloud when he wants

For example, he is travelling and does not mind logging to the cloud from time to time just to see his same desktop on the laptop online for his ready use

I hope I can find better experience shared to follow and be the on safe side but with Mirage not other products since the license bought and we need to work with it

0 Kudos