VMware Horizon Community
jainklr
Contributor
Contributor

VMWARE HORIZON and MAC CATALINA 10.15

Author : jacquiew

URL : http:////docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Horizon-Client-for-Mac/4.3/com.vmware.horizon.mac-client-43-doc/G...

Topic Name : System Requirements for Mac Clients

Publication Name : Using VMware Horizon Client for Mac

Product/Version : VMware Horizon Client for Mac/4.3

Question :

Does Horizon work on Mac OS Catalina 10.15?

34 Replies
jo_strasser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

yes, it works... but since the upgrade to macOS 10.15 my sessions are closing every 10-45 minutes and I have to reconnect.

I have not found a solution yet. The Horizon Client is not working stable right now.

I am using the Version 5.2.0 (14625369)

BR/JO

Johannes Strasser / SDDC Architect @ Porsche Informatik GmbH
Twitter: @jo_strasser
Cary_yu0306
Contributor
Contributor

Me too

I entered the screen protection. After unlocking, the Horizo ​​n view will not be disconnected. When I click on the mouse, it will be disconnected. It is very leaky. I tried the same 5.1.0, 5.2.0.

disruptasaurus
Contributor
Contributor

We are seeing this issue as well.

App Crashes when connecting to VM. Or if it connects any application switching from the local OS will cause the application to crash.

System Version: macOS 10.15 (19A583)

Kernel Version: Darwin 19.0.0

Horizon 5.2.0

=============EDIT===================

Upgraded MacOS to

System Version: macOS 10.15 (19A602)

Kernel Version: Darwin 19.0.0

The issue persists.

Best,
Mike

JNaderEvolveIP
Contributor
Contributor

I have seen the same thing.  However, in addition to the disconnects, the USB redirect through the Horizon client is also not working any longer since the update to Catalina.  The local USB printer is not redirected to the DaaS desktop.  The only thing in the USB redirect menu shows "No USB devices available" error.  This is also very frustrating as the only option now that I can think of is to downgrade back to a previous OS until VMware updates the Horizon Client. 

Any other option would be most appreciated.

JNaderEvolveIP
Contributor
Contributor

Also using Horizon Client 5.2.0

jeusername
Contributor
Contributor

I'm using 5.20 and with catalina and the supplemental catalina update.  Three issues so far:

1. Client disconnects are triggered by display sleep, screen saver, and swiping back and forth between the macos desktop and the horizon client desktop.
  2. A couple of seemingly random crashes but nothing consistent.  I've never seen a crash in 5.20 prior to the catalina update.
  3. A strange loop of failed connection attempts with a couple of different errors I can't remember including one telling me the desktop was attempting to close.  Waited a few seconds after seeing that, and then it connected fine.
bcrawfo2
Contributor
Contributor

Glad it's not me .   I was worried it was something else.   I think I'm going to have to back out my Catalina upgrade.   Not much benefit, and this bug is troublesome.

0 Kudos
kdenike
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi, I'm the Horizon Client product manager. Has anyone on this thread opened a ticket with VMware? If you have the SR number, please share it, I would love to see logs and figure this out!

jainklr
Contributor
Contributor

Answer Found-

Under Network Settings, Advanced, Make sure SOCKS Proxy in unchecked and Auto Proxy Discovery is checked.

0 Kudos
Cary_yu0306
Contributor
Contributor

Same screen protection will end the desktop will be broken

disruptasaurus
Contributor
Contributor

This doesn't solve my problem. The application still force closes with these settings.

Again the application force closes even with these suggested settings.

GeoFK
Contributor
Contributor

Had this settings all along, yet having the same issue. As soon as the screen goes off, the client disconnects.

This only started happening after the upgrade to Catalina.

Client Version 5.2.0 (14625369)

NogBadTheBad
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same issue, keeps crashing under macOS 10.15.

0 Kudos
tmyz
Contributor
Contributor

Not working, should not be solved.

macos 10.15 (19A603)

horizon client 5.2.0

disruptasaurus
Contributor
Contributor

As the project manager, have you tried, or having your engineers recreate the issue in your lab? This should be pretty simple to recreate. Let us know, as you already have the versions involved.

Best,
Mike

0 Kudos
JNaderEvolveIP
Contributor
Contributor

I actually received the official word from VMware support yesterday afternoon.  Below was what we were told regarding the Horzion Client 5.2:

At this point MAC OS Catalina is not supported with the latest MAC Horizon Client 5.2. VMWare is working on the next version of the Horizon Client for MAC, however this will most likely not be released until December or January. At this time if an end user upgrades their MAC to Catalina, they will only be able to utilize blast via a browser to access their DaaS desktop.

NogBadTheBad
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That just plain sucks, how long ago did Apple ship developer versions on 10.15!

0 Kudos
jo_strasser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi kdenike​,

NogBadTheBad​ is right. Apple has delivered the macOS beta seeds many months ago... In the beta stage of OSX is enough time to get ready for a Day-0 support of software.

We have many external users and it is too difficult for us to brief each person and tell them that they should downgrade the operating system to get the client running stable again.

There should come out a quick fix only for the Horizon Client... in that case we don't have to wait for a full software bundle with server component updates...

We only need a supported and stable client.

I hope you can help us...! Thanks JO!

Johannes Strasser / SDDC Architect @ Porsche Informatik GmbH
Twitter: @jo_strasser
kdenike
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes, the betas have been out for a while but they were also changing right up until the end. We have been able to reproduce the crash in some scenarios and are working diligently on a fix.