VMware Horizon Community
arno1704
Contributor
Contributor

VMView error creating Desktop Sources

Hello

I am evaluating VMware View with VMware Composer for my school.

Installation worked fine until i tried to create Desktop-Sources.

VM-View created the desktop from the snapshot, the Desktop was renamed and joined the domain but in View-Administrator i geht the following Error at Desktop Sources

Status Details

16.06.09 09:01 Uhr PDT: Customization operation timed out

My Configuration

VMware View 3.0.1 build-142034

VMware-viewagent-3.0.1-142034

VMWare Virtual Center 2.5.0 build 119598

VMware ESX Server 3i, 3.5.0, build 123629

Domain Controler: W2K3 Server Enterprise with DNS

2nd Domain Controler: W2k3 Server Enterprise with Secondary-DNS

DHCP-Server: W2K3 Server on an seperate Machiche

I use DHCP-Relay because my DHCP and VMWare are not on the same Subnet

Any Ideas what i am doing wrong?

Thanks

Arnold

0 Kudos
8 Replies
patten_aaron
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Arnold,

Do you route between your subnets? If the connection broker cannot "talk" to the View Agent on the VM then the customization will fail. I would try seeing if you can ping the VM. If so, then make sure the agent is running in the VM. If it is, try running netstat -aonb and look for something like this:

TCP 0.0.0.0:32111 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING 1048

wsnm.exe

wsnm is the View Agent service. If you are able to ping the VM you can test to make sure that the port is open to the VM by trying to telnet to that port (in this case 32111). From your connection broker try running:

telnet <ip address of VM> 32111

If it connects, then the port is open and you should be able to talk between the VM and the connection broker.

~Aaron Patten

~Aaron Patten Please award points for helpful answers. I got kids to feed 🙂
0 Kudos
arno1704
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

VM-View and my Client are on the same subnet and i can ping my client from my vm-view.

my vmview-agent-service is running but with netstat -aonb icant find any entry for wsnm - so it seams the service is running but not listening???

can the agent run on any port or is 32111 a fix port?

my client is WinXP - SP3. I disabled the firewall and any virus-scanner - so everything that can block a connection

Arnold

0 Kudos
patten_aaron
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Arnold,

Probably helped if I got my facts strait before writing my first reply 😛 Port 32111 is for USB redirection. If you look in the services for your VM do you see wsnm_jms.exe (VDM Framework JMS Bridge), wsnm.exe (VMware View Agent Service) and wssm.exe (VDM Framework Session Manager) listed? In my environment they are running on my working virtual desktops so I assume you should see them as well.

When a VM does connect to a view server, looks like it does so on port 4001 (10.6.120.199 in this case) in netstat. This connection terminates when the virtual desktop is removed from a pool and no longer being managed by View.

TCP 192.168.92.8:1305 10.6.120.199:4001 ESTABLISHED 596

wsnm_jms.exe

Also, what virus scanner are you running? I've seen McAfee block applications/ports even if the actual scanning engine has been turned off.

~Aaron Patten

0 Kudos
MayurPatel
Expert
Expert

Hi Arnold,

Have you installed VM View Agent installed on the VM that you are using as the Template Snapshot? Make sure you have this installed.

MP

0 Kudos
arno1704
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I tried netstat -aonb (see attachment). There is no WSNM, no WSNM_jms or something like this. Port 4001 ist too not used

In Services i see:

VMware Physical Disk Helper Service ("C:\Programme\VMware\VMware Tools\vmacthlp.exe")(running)

VMware Tools-Dienst ("C:\Programme\VMware\VMware Tools\VMwareService.exe") (running)

VMware View Agent ("C:\Programme\VMware\VMware View\Agent\bin\wsnm.exe" -SCMStartup) (runing)

VMware View Composer Guest Agent Server ("C:\Programme\Gemeinsame Dateien\VMware\View Composer Guest Agent\vmware-svi-ga.exe") (running)

and in my Taskmanager i can find

wsnm_jms.exe, wsnm.exe, wssm.exe

So it seems every service is running but they dont connenct - or am i wrong?

I even reinstalled VMware-viewagent-3.0.1-142034.exe but everything stayed the same.

I had McAfee installed but removed (uninstalled) it after the first test failed - could this be a problem?

Can a German WinXP be the Problem?? Because i had to use the English Server - on German Server installation from VMView failed

Any new Ideas?

Arnold

0 Kudos
patten_aaron
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Arnold,

Sorry to say I don't have any more bright ideas. Checking the release notes for View I do see an issue with locals:

If the system locale (set in Control Panel > Regional and Language options > Advanced > Language for non-Unicode programs) does not match the language of the version of Windows that you are using, installation of the View Connection Server hangs.

Workaround: Make sure that the system locale matches the language of the version of Windows that you are using.

There are some other local related issues mentioned, but none that talk directly to your problem.

I would check in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VDM\logs and see if the logs show anything obvious. You can send them to me if you like and I'll gladly look at them. If we can't find anything helpful in there, then it looks like you need to give VMware a call and see what they can do for you.

~Aaron Patten

0 Kudos
arno1704
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Aaron

I have attached my logfiles vom VDM - maybe you can see anything. I found this two lines to look at:

14:19:12,849 ERROR <MessageFrameWorkDispatch> getTrustedDomains: Cannot find the primary domain name

16:03:19,609 INFO <Service Main Thread> Domains enumerated in 0.000000 seconds

DOMAIN =

NAME = "BSIT"

DOMAIN =

NAME = "VMCLONENR1"

At the second entry there is no domain-name. Is this normal?

If you cant see any errors i try to install an english winXP - maybe it helps.

Thanks for your help anyway

Arnold

0 Kudos
MayurPatel
Expert
Expert

Hi Aron,

I had a look at the two log files you attached, what I noted was in the 23rd June log the Domain name is being queried correctly:

DOMAIN =

NAME = "BSIT" <----

This is your domain name.

DOMAIN =

NAME = "VMCLONENR1"

However on the 24th June Log for some reason the Domain name query is being returned as:

DOMAIN =

NAME = "VMCLONENR1" <----

This is the name of your VM that you took a snapshot of.

So some issue there for some reason.

From the information you have provided everything generally checks out correct. What I would do is:

1. Delete the Desktop Pool you have created which is failing to recreate you link clones.

2. Delete the VM Snapshot that you are using for the link clones.

3. Start the Gold Image VM, uninstall your Anti-Virus and also your VMview Agent, restart the VM make sure everything is fine and re-install the VMView Agent. This time do not install the Anti Virus.

4. Another important point to make sure is you are using DHCP, before you shutdown the VM clear the IP by IPCONFIG /release

5. Take a new snapshot and leave the VM shut down.

Create a new Desktop Pool and configure it to only deploy 2 machines.

Give that a try.

MP

0 Kudos