VMware Horizon Community
msmeltzer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMView Sysprep HOW To

I have my View Manager standard server setup, with SYSPREP files in the appropriate folders on the VC. When I create a DT Pool in VM it doesn't apply sysprep to the newly created machines. They all have the same name and so on. Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

matt

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I'm not sure which version of Office that you have but this may be helpful, .

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

have you configured a customization specification in the vCenter? Please ensure that the name of the VM is set to hostname in the spec. After that configure this spec within the automated desktop pool.

Thanks,

Christoph

0 Kudos
msmeltzer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Customization specification has been created yes. Name is set to the hostname yes. I have it set to the automated desktop pool with non persistant desktops?

Sysprep does run on all the machines and it joins the domain for me, renames the machine puts in the serial number for me, the problem is i don't get the custom desktop setup that i created on the template. my icons are not there, i have media player and welcome to windows balloon popup's... just wondering how to make my own icons that i want for that desktop template to come up when users login...

thanks very much for reply.

matt

0 Kudos
MartijnLo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

What you probably did was configure all those options (desktop background, visual effects settings etc.) as administrator or another user in the template. These options are profile specific however so whenever you log in as a different user you get the nice landscape picture and the slow gfx settings Smiley Happy

See this post here for a link to Microsoft KB for the description how to create a custom default user profile: http://virtualize.wordpress.com/2009/01/12/preparing-a-vdi-desktop-custom-default-user-profile/

msmeltzer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks very much for the reply. I actually did this last week after I posted the question. I have the desktop and VDI's setup like I want them, I have to figure out how to arrange the desktop icon's how I like them. My big question is with non-persistant desktops that I have delete everytime, how do I setup Outlook email automatically when the user logs in?

Thanjks

Matt

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can use the Office resource kit to do a custom installation and specify the correct Exchange options. This should allow for automatic configuration of email when users login.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

msmeltzer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am not familiar with the Office Resource Kit I will have a look at that, thanks very much. If you have any specific documents on this feel free to send them over.

thanks a lot.

matt

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I'm not sure which version of Office that you have but this may be helpful, .

0 Kudos