VMware Horizon Community
big_oz1
Contributor
Contributor

VMView 5 High Availabilty installing 2 vmview servers

Hi all

Recently I have been asked to install a vmview solution to serve about 150 vdi.

All the installation went just fine.

But a new requirement came up from the client which is installing a backup vmview.

Well I have installed it and it cab shown on the server repository.

On the zero client side I added the second vmview server to the mgt console so the mgt console will direct the zero client to the proper vmview server available.

But for the desktops, iPads, and thin client the user have to put which server to connect to

At the moment all of those equipment are pointed to the first vmview

My question is how could I make this Process automated. From my knowledge I thought of making a vmview in a cluster node via MS severs 2008

Is this possible

Does vmview support it

Any input is appreciated

0 Kudos
4 Replies
big_oz1
Contributor
Contributor

Guys,

Please help.....

Regards.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

You will need to use some type of load balancing solution to direction queries between the two connection brokers.   Just go to google and query VMware View and loadbalance to see a couple of different options.  

0 Kudos
vedeht
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You can use a manual dns entry until you get a load balancer.

Example:

Server1 - View server with IP of 10.1.1.1

Server2 - Replica View server 10.1.1.2

create a dns entry called view.domainname.com and point it to one of those servers.  Or you could point it to both of them using round robin dns.  If you do that though just keep in mind that if one of those servers goes offline you will have to manually remove it from dns to redirect all the traffic.

You can use a virtual appliance to load balance your view servers.  Or you can use Microsoft NLB if you don't have the budget for a load balancer.

Try our VMWare View Demo on www.virtualdojo.com
0 Kudos
big_oz1
Contributor
Contributor

Dear Vedhet,

Thank you for the reply. i think MS NLB is my pnly choice to go now.

but i want to clarify somthing. The replica server of vmview is a virtual machine and the main one is a physical machine.

is there going to be some modification i have to do on the virtualization enviroment, or is it going to be a direct OS configuration.

0 Kudos