VMware Horizon Community
Linog
Contributor
Contributor

VMD Template desktop - should be in domain?

Hi! I have some questions about VDI:

1) Should template of wirtual machide be a member of domain or VDM automaticly add new virtual desktop in domain?

2) What guest OS should I use for vitual desktops?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Hi! I have some questions about VDI:

1) Should template of wirtual machide be a member of domain or VDM automaticly add new virtual desktop in domain?

2) What guest OS should I use for vitual desktops?

Answer to question 1: Personally I do not have my template machines as a member of the domain I allow the provisioning process to do that,

Answer to question 2: with VDM you are limited to XP Professsional and Vista Enterprise (due to MS licensing issues)

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
Linog
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks!

I have a problem with automatic adding new virtual machine to domain (all settings in customization file is correct!). VDM deploy VM from teplate correctly, but ignore domain settings, so VM in VDM "hang" with status "Customizing". I don't have same problem with Win 2003.

0 Kudos
Jasemccarty
Immortal
Immortal

What guest OS and patch level are you deploying?

Windows XP SP3 has a new sysprep.

Jase McCarty

http://www.jasemccarty.com

Co-Author of VMware ESX Essentials in the Virtual Data Center

(ISBN:1420070274) from Auerbach

Jase McCarty - @jasemccarty
0 Kudos
bebman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Might be this...

If you have been testing or done a previous deployment, make sure the computer names that you are using do not remain in your domain. When you remove a VM from VDI, it does not delete the computer account in AD. I have that seen that cause problems with deployments.

Please mark the question as Helpful or Answered so points are awarded. Thanks!!!

NOTE: If your problem or questions has been resolved, please mark this thread as answered and award points accordingly.
0 Kudos
GerardMartin
Contributor
Contributor

I had this same problem until I updated to the latest version of the VDM agent in the XP template I was using.

- Gerard

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

You should make sure the template is not in any domain. Problems during this phase of VM customization are sometimes related to DHCP and DNS. Once the VM is cloned you should be able to look in the Sysprep folder under systemroot / temp usually and see exactly what customization got hung up on.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Moved to the VMware View Manager Forum

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
HCC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Question: if you VM is not on domain, how does the View Manager add a VM onto the domain ? Does it have to somehow log on locally to the VM via script or whatever in order add a VM to the domain ? If so, does the View Manager local administrator password have to match the VMs local administrator password ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

during the creation of your Desktop poll you are presented with a number of options,

a: if creating a traditional pool, you can use an already existing vCenter sysprep file,

b: create your own,

c: if creating linked clones you run the mini-sysprep.

each of these option gives you the option to add to the domain

Tom Howarth

Blog: www.planetvm.net

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

View Manager will add to the domain by using normal Guest Customization options in VC which will basically download and configure sysprep data to the deployed virtual machine. You add the credentials during guest customization mini wizard for domain computer add. These credentials dont have to match but you can specifiy local credentials to run follow on installs or auto login to the VM several times.

You can also deploy sysprep in the VM just like you would for a physical deployment and clone the VM etc.

0 Kudos