VMware Horizon Community
b34ny
Contributor
Contributor

VM restarts when plugging in iPhone

We're getting a number of reports from users who's VMs are restarting on them mid session.  We narrowed it down to users plugging in iPhones to charge them.  This happens over zero client sessions and normal View Client connections in both PCoIP and Blast protocols.  Once the iPhone is connected via USB lightning cable Windows 10 reaches out to Windows Update and pulls down updates/drivers for the device and installs them.  Then shortly after the user gets disconnected from their session because the VM initiated a restart.  These are non-persistent linked-clone images.  Another noticeable behavior is that once the driver installation begins for the iPhone/cable the mouse stops working.

Environment:

Windows 10 build 1709

Horizon View Agent 7.4

ESX6.5

Persona management is FSLogix profiles

Anyone else experiencing this?  We've had users with connected iPhone to their desktop sessions before without issue.  Not sure if we're looking at a microsoft driver change/issue here or possibly a vmware USB hub/driver issue.  Initial searches on the inter-webs hasn't produced similar sounding problems.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Instant0Darth0V
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thankz for headsup

maybe you need to add and exclude

Exclude all devices made by a particular company because these devices cause problems for your end users. Use an agent-side setting:

Exclude Vid/Pid Device:     o:Vid-0341_Pid-*
0 Kudos
Instant0Darth0V
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you hate Apple then the Vendor ID for apple devices is 05ac

Exclude Vid/Pid Device:     o:Vid-05ac_Pid-*

This would prevent Apple from destroying your Horizon environment.

The full Vid and Pid is:

vid = 05ac

pid = 12a8

In Blast it would be:

0x05ac,0x12a8,0x06,0x01,0x01

0 Kudos
b34ny
Contributor
Contributor

While somewhat helpful for a workaround that doesn't really *solve* the issue.  I'm wondering if anyone else with a similar environment is seeing similar behavior and if so I'll move forward in created a ticket.

0 Kudos
Instant0Darth0V
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

also, on your master image, you can plug in a iphone and let it get the updates.

then push this out.

and turn off windows update on your instant clones / linked clones.

b34ny
Contributor
Contributor

This is what we ended up doing, (Windows Update is managed through WSUS and disabled by GPO on our linked clone pool OUs) and it seemed to work for a few days and now we're getting reports again. I wonder if different versions of iPhone require different drivers.

I'm going to use your idea of blocking apple id USB devices at the zero client level for now until we get to the bottom of it.  Thanks

0 Kudos
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Unless you have a need for it I would highly recommend disabling USB redirection (Either by blocking the firewall ports or disabling it using group policy). At a minimum if USB redirection needs to be enabled then lock it down to only the specific devices that are needed. By doing this users will still be able to connect their phones to charge them but will be unable to pass data.

0 Kudos