VMware Horizon Community
Ironworm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VM not showing in Horizon Inventory

Hello,

I am trying to add a new machine to a manual desktop pool, however when I attempt to do so the machine does not show in the inventory list. I created a VM on the vSphere host (attempted to clone a working desktop and created from a template) and made sure View Agent was installed.

services.PNG

Attempting to add the new desktop my computer name does not appear (DEVWin10Admin_XX)

add desktops.PNG

Any advice would be greatful I am over here pulling my hair out.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ironworm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I currently have a ticket open with VMware, they recommended rebooting both the vCenter server, the composer, and whatever server horizon is installed on.

View solution in original post

16 Replies
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Its this a virtual machine or a physical, if its a physical did you specificy the connection server when you installed it?

0 Kudos
Ironworm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is a VM and View Agent is installed via GPO. Is there a way to find out what connection server the agent is pointing to?

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Has the GPO worked before? try installing it manually, it you don't add the view composer or instant clone features it should ask you what connection server. In your gpo I think you would have a command line argument for it.

0 Kudos
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

When you manually add a VM it's just going off of what is seen in vCenter (I just validated this by creating a VM with no hard disk and successfully added it to a pool). Is the VM in a folder in vCenter that Horizon possibly doesn't have visibility to (We do this to prevent certain VMs from being added to Horizon)?

0 Kudos
Ironworm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The VM is in the same folder as other VMS that are showing, please see example below. The VM ending in DF is not showing so I dont believe there is anything wrong with folder permissions.

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You probably need to open a ticket, reading the message

pastedImage_0.png

it may be in the pool, but an inconsistency in the ADAM database is preventing it from showing.

0 Kudos
jchilton
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I had a similar problem when I had a VM contained in a vApp - for some reason I couldn't see it in the Horizon Pool when creating a Pool so I'm guessing you may have a simialr issue. Is the VM in some kind of folder/container?

0 Kudos
Ironworm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have tried to create the VM in the same folder as other similar VMs and outside not in a directory.

0 Kudos
jm4ck
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ever find the cause for this? We're experiencing the same problem.

Horizon 7.4

VSphere 6.5

I should note - we recently rebuilt the VCenter host. All settings and configurations were updated in Horizon to reflect the new server.

0 Kudos
Ironworm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I currently have a ticket open with VMware, they recommended rebooting both the vCenter server, the composer, and whatever server horizon is installed on.

jm4ck
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Rebooting the vCenter and Horizon servers did the trick. Thanks!

sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Its probably just luck, but when my vcenter server was windows, I had to do this like 2-3 times a year. Now that I've been on the linux appliance I haven't needs to do a full restart in over a year.

BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

There was a bug in 7.4.0 that required reboots multiple times a week even with the VCSA. It was resolved with a hotfix for 7.4.0 and in one of the newer releases.

I've found that following Restart order of the View environment to clear ADLDS (ADAM) synchronization in Horizon View (2068381... but skipping Composer and vCenter solves a lot of issues we've experienced as well as what I see with others on here. We basically shutdown all of the connection servers and power them on one at a time.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

DO you schedule this on a regular basis, I was considering it, but my issues stopped. I'm on 7.4 and I know what your talking about but for some reason it stopped happening in my environment. I did forget my DR environment does the "(missing)" issue and I just restart that without thinking about it since no one really uses it.

0 Kudos
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

We were doing it manually up until we applied the hotfix which we are still running. I'm planning a upgrade from 7.4.0 to 7.7.0 next month.

0 Kudos
ranand_2000
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We started having the same issue few weeks ago but it's the physical machines not showing in the inventory. I have tired un-installing and re-installing the agent, Logs shows it's registered but it's not showing in the inventory. Any suggestions? I feel like since we switched to the new admin console or it could be a co-incidence that we started seeing this issue.

0 Kudos